Suggestions for first time visitors in late June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver858

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!

We will be staying in North Redington Beach June 20 to 27, and would like to get in a few days (and possibly a night) diving. Will have our own gear, beginner to intermediate skills, shore or boat dives.

TYA!

Check out what ScubaHaven on Fowler has going.... They do cavern and gulf trips on a regular basis

I will probably be doing Spanish Rocks Monday the 22nd. Lots of critters for a shallow beach dive.

Check out what ScubaHaven on Fowler has going.... They do cavern and gulf trips on a regular basis

Thanks, Steve. I emailed ScubaHaven, and they did not seem interested in our business - said there was no shore diving in the area, offered to book us on Tanks-A-Lot, and when asked specifically about cavern diving and Weeki Wachee, simply directed us to check out their web site.

As Captain Mike appears to be quite active on the Tampa club board, I contacted him directly, learned that they generally do Saturday and Sunday day trips, and since we only have one Sunday to dive, he "put us down" for that date.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Thanks, Steve. I emailed ScubaHaven, and they did not seem interested in our business - said there was no shore diving in the area, offered to book us on Tanks-A-Lot, and when asked specifically about cavern diving and Weeki Wachee, simply directed us to check out their web site.

As Captain Mike appears to be quite active on the Tampa club board, I contacted him directly, learned that they generally do Saturday and Sunday day trips, and since we only have one Sunday to dive, he "put us down" for that date.

Any other suggestions?

I will probably be doing Spanish Rocks Monday the 22nd. Lots of critters for a shallow beach dive.

As stated in the reply above, ScubaHaven discouraged us from considering shore dives. We are comfortable with the description of Spanish Rocks on shorediving.com, and as long as the visibility is at leat 15 ft, would like to give it a try.

DEF: Please PM us if you would like some company on the 22nd.

Any other recommendations, suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

Odd you would be discourage from doing Spanish Rocks. It is a fantastic lil dive, especially for newer divers. As long as the viz is good and you can check that winds are/have been favorable in the days before the dive. You will want to be sure when you head out and before you drop to be in front of the house/landmarker. Also be sure to get a compass reading.

You will find all sorts of stuff at the rocks. Flounder, your ornate fish, there's a nurse shark (Lil Bit knows her well ;-)), seahorses (look in the funky brown alagae), etc. If you familiarize yourself with this dive, it'd be a good one to go back to to do a night dive. :)

I don't know of any boat that regularly goes out during the week unless it is a private boat. Unlike FtLauderdale, Boynton, and those areas we just don't have enough divers...

Another fantastic shore dive is Venice Beach. I was just there yesterday and collected loads of shark's teeth. Several megaladon teeth were also found.

Now depending on your willingness to drive... You could head south a bit to Jupiter and do some charter diving there... Let me know.

I'll find the links to shore diving and post them here in a sec.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3373863-post27.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/venice-fossil-divers/

Talked to diver858. Looks like we are doing Spanish Rocks Monday the 22nd. Shooting for around 10:00 AM.

The 25th looks interesting and diver858 is looking for dives that week. With spouses that would be four.

Just got back from Devils Den with Mr. and Mrs. diverr858. Fun dive, great company. Hope to dive with them again someday. See you all at the M & G.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom