Suggestions needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks all for your tips on PG. I lived in Panama for 25 years so I know how the petty theiving can go. will warn my group when I get there. still researching which hotel is best-- la laguna or atlantis. will check out the dive site that you sent chip104. gracias. tarzana

chip104:
Yes, april is an excellent time of year to go. I think the only complaints you might have is that it might be more crowded than usual in PG so book early! (it's summer time for us)

I'll have to agree with Phildiver here. Sabang beach has too many pebbles/rocks for my liking. La Laguna's beach is really nice and I enjoyed the walk around the cove to Sabang to check out the night life (about 15 mins only). La Laguna has excellent snorkelling. Here's a site to check out:
http://www.travelpuertogalera.com/lalaguna.htm

Really too bad. PG is a very safe place away from terrorist. As Scuby Dooby said, I am more worried about petty criminals more than terrorists around these parts. I slept on the beach there once and got my slippers and glasses case stolen! Those were $400 glasses too... (sorry for digressing). Hopefully there will be a lift before april.

Hi Tarzana,

Hope your trip to the PI pushes thru. If your itinerary is still open, I think you should give Dumaguete a try. There are absolutely no crowds (ergo all problems associated with crowds is non-existent) here. You can walk along the beach (a REAL beach where you can build sand castles on) in either direction and count the people you meet w/ your fingers. And the seawater is clean enough to drink ( :D I do it all the time) if you don't mind it being salty. Snorkelling? There are several marine sanctuaries within walking distance that offer great (like fair-chance-to-see-a-seaturtle kind of great) snorkelling. Atlantis in Puerto Gallera has a sister resort in Dumaguete and I think they have the best resort in both areas. But here's a direct quote from Andy Pope (he runs Atlantis PG): "the Dumaguete resort is the better between the two in terms of area...".

Hope you give Dumaguete a shot. Drop me a priv8 mssg anytime if you want more details.

cheers,
marku

Marku,

It sounds like a better beach but where is it in relation to all the cool dive sites? I guess it is not in the throws of a downtown area/nightlife like Sabong Beach??? For most of my group that is not important, as we were tired from the long days of diving in Palau--we barely ate and went to bed. I will have to look into this area and take a look at where it is situated.... Thanks for the info, Marku.
tarzana

Anyone.. if you have a website/page that shows these areas of Sabong Beach/Atlantis Hotel area and the Dumaguete area plus the dive sites that are good in the area, i would love to see some visual. I will research when I have time but this week I will be real busy for me.

Tarzana

marku:
Hi Tarzana,

Hope your trip to the PI pushes thru. If your itinerary is still open, I think you should give Dumaguete a try. There are absolutely no crowds (ergo all problems associated with crowds is non-existent) here. You can walk along the beach (a REAL beach where you can build sand castles on) in either direction and count the people you meet w/ your fingers. And the seawater is clean enough to drink ( :D I do it all the time) if you don't mind it being salty. Snorkelling? There are several marine sanctuaries within walking distance that offer great (like fair-chance-to-see-a-seaturtle kind of great) snorkelling. Atlantis in Puerto Gallera has a sister resort in Dumaguete and I think they have the best resort in both areas. But here's a direct quote from Andy Pope (he runs Atlantis PG): "the Dumaguete resort is the better between the two in terms of area...".

Hope you give Dumaguete a shot. Drop me a priv8 mssg anytime if you want more details.

cheers,
marku

tarzana:
Marku,

It sounds like a better beach but where is it in relation to all the cool dive sites? I guess it is not in the throws of a downtown area/nightlife like Sabong Beach??? For most of my group that is not important, as we were tired from the long days of diving in Palau--we barely ate and went to bed. I will have to look into this area and take a look at where it is situated.... Thanks for the info, Marku.
tarzana

Anyone.. if you have a website/page that shows these areas of Sabong Beach/Atlantis Hotel area and the Dumaguete area plus the dive sites that are good in the area, i would love to see some visual. I will research when I have time but this week I will be real busy for me.

Tarzana

Dumaguete is right smack in the middle of some of the coolest divesites in the Philippines. It's actually further south than PG/ Manila. If you take a domestic flight from Manila, you'll be in Dumaguete after an hour (3 or 2 daily flights between Manila-Dumaguete). Please see http://www.atlantishotel.com/dumaguete/resort/index.htm for details. Atlantis-Dumaguete offers daytrips to Apo Island, Sumilon, and Siquijor as well as daily coastal dives along Dumaguete. They also have a great house reef.

cheers,
marku

tarzana:
Marku,

Tarzana

Well, you got your wish. Pls see the photo attachments. You can see that Sabang is already crowded. Atlantis is in Sabang while Big LL BC is in Big LL.

You can also refer to this for visuals: http://www.rufer.net/Puerto_Galera_bilder.html

Allen

It looks like I made the right decision. I'll be staying in small LL. I like to party and all but when done partying, I'd like to stay in a quiet place. Would stay in Big LL but too lazy for that long walk.

midwestdvr:
It looks like I made the right decision. I'll be staying in small LL. I like to party and all but when done partying, I'd like to stay in a quiet place. Would stay in Big LL but too lazy for that long walk.

i stayed in small la laguna, very nice place and decent people. very relaxed and low key.

Great visual, Allen showing the Big and Sm Laguna and Sabong. Thank you!! The forested areas look beautiful. I wonder if there are hikes too???

So if one stayed in Big LL BC you could always walk or take a taxi into town if you wanted some action... how far is the walk/taxi ride?

tarzana

If you really want to stay close to the action but far enough away from it, go for small LL. Big LL is a little further away from Sabang. Like said, it's only about a 15 min walk between sm LL and sabang.

Did you email the person I private messaged you about?

Taxi???? in Sabang??? :)

Lucky for you the walk isn't that long - because there are no taxis. There are 'tricycles' (small motorcycles with sidecars) available for the main roads but none that go along the beach - there is no road, just a footpath!

Back
Top Bottom