Suggestions needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichieRich1042

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all...need some help planning a potential getaway. I'd like to take a weekend trip sometime soon but unsure where I should go and who to dive with. I know this sounds really vague but I'll try to explain what I'm looking for in a trip. I will be going and staying alone on the trip so also please keep that in mind. I'd like to go from a Wednesday to a Sunday due to my work schedule. Figured I could fly down on Weds, dive Thurs-Fri, decompress Sat and depart Sun. Some options I have considered are Florida: Key West, Fort Lauderdale, and Daytona Beach areas; Bahamas (I've dove with Stuarts Cove), Turks and Caicos (I love Dive Provo) but am open to other possible suggestions. I am looking to go either the end of February or beginning of March. Lastly, would you guys suggest a thickness for a wetsuit? I was thinking either a 3mm for the trip. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

UNEXSO, Freeport, Grand Bahama. They can pack lots of adventure into a long weekend with their Big 5 dives:

1) Dolphin Dive
2) Shark Dive
3) Wreck Dive
4) Cavern Dive
5) Night Reef Dive

3mm - 5mm wetsuit.

Coming from NY you can get a 4 hour non stop flight to Caymans. Water will be in the low 80s. I dive as a single with a lot of the dive ops there, so that's not a problem. Most ops run "group" dives. You could also dive Saturday morning depending on when your return flight leaves. Lots of good places to hang in the evening if that's of interest. Hard to say what thickness suit. I use a 5mm in 85 degree water. On the same dive boat, I will see people in bathing suits, 3 mm shorties, and even a dry suit(!). If you come down, let me know and I'll grab a beer with you!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone and I may hit you up on that offer Mike! Being from MA though may make it hard being a Giants fan and all though (we just interviewed your OC McDaniels).

Lastly, would you guys suggest a thickness for a wetsuit? I was thinking either a 3mm for the trip. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

That's not how it works...everybody is radically different, and it is very dependent on your intended repetitive dive schedule.

Pick a location, determine the fairly predictable upcoming water temp, then, with your log book notes in hand, you decide.

If luggage limitations are not an issue, bring everything. Otherwise, if you're going to a dive op that would have rental rubber, rent what you discover you'll need if necessary.

Again, what I wear or what anyone wears is absolutely irrelevant. It's all about you, anything else is anecdotal.

Doc (from another Doc lol)

Was just trying to get suggestions was all. I completely understand that people have different capabilities when it comes to withstanding temps. I also don't want to haul down extra gear if I don't have too but on the other hand don't have a problem doing it either.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone and I may hit you up on that offer Mike! Being from MA though may make it hard being a Giants fan and all though (we just interviewed your OC McDaniels).

There was even rumor that Belichick was thinking of going to the Giants. My daughter lives in Williamsburg, so I'll give you a pass :).

There was even rumor that Belichick was thinking of going to the Giants. My daughter lives in Williamsburg, so I'll give you a pass :).

I heard that as well. I wouldn't mind seeing him back in some Giants gear either to be honest. I'm familiar with Williamsburg although I'm on the other side next to Coney Island. Growing up though, my parents had a summer house in the Cape so I'm used to going up your way too haha

Back
Top Bottom