Summertime Meet & Greet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
During lunch yesterday a few of us kicked around the idea of chartering the Cypress Sea for our next M&G.

We'll be checking out the cost of chartering the boat for the day this week. Chris thought the cost would be $700 - $800 so if we got 20 people we'd be looking at $40 per person.

The date being thrown around was the last week of July or first week of August.

1) How many people would be interested?
2) Where would you like to go? (3 dives in the bay, go down to Big Sur, etc)
3) What date would you like to do the M&G?

For those of you who arrived via the newletter this thread is for planning the Northern California (norcal), USA summertime meet and greet. All are welcome to attend. We are planning on chartering a boat so space is limited. If you would like to join us please respond to this thread and let us know. Also, please vote in the date planning poll: Summertime M&G Date Planning Poll
The cost will be determined by the number of divers attending.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds like a great idea. The site Dannobee was pointing out to us, I think it is called Lobo Rock, sounds awesome.

Way to go Mike - you're in charge :D

Sounds fun -- but sorry - I'll be in SE Asia after May 30! Have a great time!

I'm in! My schedule should be far more manageable then, and I'm fine with contributing to the charter fund.

I'm open the last weekend in July and the first in Aug, so either one would work for me. Definitely go south (Carmel) if we can!

ok it turns out that the boat is already chartered all of July and August but we can do an afternoon (after 2pm) charter with a dusk / night dive.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok here is the information I got
A full boat charter for 2 dives in the Bay with an afternoon departure would run $1050.00 Our retail pricing on that trip is $80 per person, and the boat has a capacity of 20 divers. If you depart at 2:00PM, you are usually back by 6:30PM, which that time of year is still quite light. Some groups choose a later departure and actually offer a dusk/night dive combo, and a typical itinerary might include a 6PM departure ending around 10:30PM, and the pricing would also be $1050. It is difficult to plan to go around the point into Carmel for the afternoon or dusk charters because the wind usually comes up, making travel a little bumpier, and we don't want to be coming back around the Point in the dark. There are some terrific dive sites in the Bay, and less travel time reduces the chances of ending up with seasick divers. The in-the-Bay trips are also less expensive since we expend less fuel, and less crew time is accrued - the $1050 pricing reflects that reduction. Carmel !
charters are $1300 for the 2 dive trips. The charter includes a captain, deckhand, and safety diver on board, tanks for your dives, a compressor for air fills, beverages and a light snack, an enclosed cabin, a full head, warm showers on the deck, and a swim step for easy re-entry onto the boat. Nitrox is available for an additional $10 per tank and is payable in cash on board. 20 divers is the absolute maximum on board, and that includes any instructional or "freebie" staff members accompanying the charter. Free spots are built into the pricing.

If you are interested in booking a reservation, let me know. A signed contract and $200 deposit will hold the date for you. The deposit is fully refundable up to 30 days prior to departure. Cancellations within 30 days will forfeit your deposit. Payment in full is due 10 days prior to departure.

OK so it'll be a bit more than we thought originally. Cost would be:
Code:
# Divers   Cost Per (Bay)   Cost Per (Carmel)
1          $1,050.00        $1,300.00
2          $525.00          $650.00
3          $350.00          $433.33
4          $262.50          $325.00
5          $210.00          $260.00
6          $175.00          $216.67
7          $150.00          $185.71
8          $131.25          $162.50
9          $116.67          $144.44
10         $105.00          $130.00
11         $95.45           $118.18
12         $87.50           $108.33
13         $80.77           $100.00
14         $75.00           $92.86
15         $70.00           $86.67
16         $65.63           $81.25
17         $61.76           $76.47
18         $58.33           $72.22
19         $55.26           $68.42
20         $52.50           $65.00

To make this work I'd like to see at least 15 of us.

If you are interested please post so and give your preferences on date (July 25, July 26, August 1, August 2), time (afternoon / dusk or dusk / night), and location (bay or carmel) [Realize that night and carmel probably ain't happening].

This is the plan: Once I get 10 people to say yes they'd come I'll go ahead and make the reservation based on the popular date/time/location. We'll price it at the 15 person rate and start collecting funds. If we get more than 15 people to pay we'll refund the difference. Sound ok to everyone?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom