Surface Freak Out (kind of long-winded)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jumpfrog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just got back from a real bust of an afternoon. I don't get to dive too often. This was dive # 19, and the first in several months. I was diving in sub-tropical waters off the coast of Korea, in a spot I have dived before--several times. I was buddied up with the dive shop owner. I was wearing a rather heavy wetsuit, and at the dive site I decided to add a vest, since it had a hood, and I get cold easily. I don't know if it was the vest or what, but my breathing felt a bit constricted on the surface...but I thought I would be fine once in the water. I got in the water, and I seemed ok on the surface, waiting for everyone to enter and assemble. We went down, and everything seemed ok, but I was breathing rather heavily. My chest felt really constricted, like I had to work hard to inhale. I was using up my air pretty fast too, I noticed. After about 5 mins or so, I knew that this dive was not feeling very good, as I was still having a hard time controlling my breathing. I signaled that I wanted to go up. My buddy, (also the divemaster for the trip) took me up.

On the surface, I felt better, and knew I had made the right choice. He checked that my BCD was inflated all the way, and generally assured himself that I was mentally OK. Since there were 4 other divers that he was leading, he wanted to know if I could get myself back to the entry point with a short surface swim. I said sure, cause he had shown me to make a short swim to some rocks, and then I could swim with the current to the entry point, where there were many divers from other groups who could assist me out of the water. It was a very short distance, 20m across current (if that) and then about 30m further to the entry point, with the current. I felt that I could manage it, and I didn't want to blow the dive for the group by making him go with me. He told me to use my snorkel, and I did.

However, I immediately started having some trouble, cause the waves were washing over me, and flooding my snorkel, and I was feeling like I couldn't breath enough from it. I switched to my regulator, but I found it really tough to breath from as I thrashed around on the surface. I felt like I could not get enough air from the regulator either, and I started to feel like I was having a lot of trouble just swimming to the rocks. I flipped on my back, but the waves still washed over me. Then, I started screaming for help. REALLY screaming, not like, "Hey I need a hand here," but "HELP ME!!! ARRGGH! HELP ME!" There were boats not too far away, and I was hoping they would hear me. I kept swimming for the rocks. Finally, I reached them, but my problem was not really solved. I was so heavy and exhausted, that I could only cling to the rock. I was getting slammed up, and then sucked down against the rock. My regulator was around me somewhere, but I couldn't stop clinging to the rock to get it. I was just trying to get up on the rock, but it was impossible with my weights and fins. I was swallowing seawater, and continuing to yell. Then, there was someone behind me...it was one of the other divers from our group (I found this out later; at the time, I couldn't even turn my head to see him). I guess they saw us go up and followed us. He took off my fins, and supported me from the water while I very slowly got myself on the rocks. I was completely wiped out. I could barely move. After a bit, I could sit up. I was told to take off my gear, so I did, and got the vest and wetsuit unzipped. I felt A LOT better, especially after I took off the hood and unzipped.

Everyone checked in, and it was decided that I could stay there, while the others finished the dive, which was fine, because I was calm and OK at that point. So I just rested for about 40 minutes or so, and then the divemaster came over and walked me to the narrowest point and I swam back to the entrypoint. I actualy felt, for the first time in my life, phobic about getting into the water. But the divemaster assured me that with 6.5 neoprene, and a vest, I would be able to fin over with just a snorkel, no problem. And he was right, it was no problem, and I felt fine once I got into the water. I didn't do the afternoon dive though.

Well...I always knew I had it in me to panic. I am not exactly the calmest person in an emergency, and before I got my OW, I thought for a long time if I was 'suitable' for diving. But I really wanted to dive. So I took time to train well. I try to mentally prepare for problems, by reminding myself that I could get into a snag, and try and visualize myself solving the problem. But I never really thought about problems on the surface. I guess I should not have let myself be alone on the surface, since it was kind of choppy, given that I was already having breathing trouble. I should have told the divemaster to wait until he saw me at the rocks. I wonder if that would have made a difference, just knowing someone was there in case of trouble...I would have been calmer, maybe.

I don't know what to make of this experience. I was definitely panicking, but there was about 30% of my brain that was kind of clear and analysing the situation, thinking, ok, you're in trouble, start yelling, maybe someone will hear you; keep swimming; wait for a big wave to help you up on the rocks, etc. I really needed the help when I got it though, by that point I was just so stressed, I am not sure I could have solved my problems, even after reaching the rocks. When I was back on land and looking at the rocks, it didnt seem like the wave action was all that dramatic, so what was I so worked up about?!

I am going out again tomorrow to try again. No one in our small group made me feel weird about the experience, even though I was clearly screaming for my life...and the divemaster is willing to take me tomorrow...in fact was willing to take me in the afternoon, but I was just not up for it. He thought I was maybe wearing too much, and that made me feel too constricted. He is a good guy, and I doubt very much he would be willing to take me again if he thought I was going to be a danger...but my budding confidence just got nipped in a big way. I don't really feel embarrassed, though...shouldn't I feel like a bigger idiot? I'm just glad I got out ok. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a good day.

anyway...this is a long post, I know, for anyone still reading...but I had to unload it somewhere, and I don't want to scare all my non-diving friends.

Anyone else have an experience like this, and gone on to be a competent diver??

Jumpfrog,

First, thank you for sharing your experience. This is a great way for us all to learn. I am sure you will have many posts following mine. It is hard to second guess, but maybe the DM should have stayed with you until you reached to boat as the conditions sounded less than ideal. As an Open Water diver your are responsible for your kit which should include a signaling device.

Have you considered packing a whistle? Regardless if you rent or own your BCD, you should make sure one is available so you can signal at the surface if you need to.

Your breathing difficulties could be related to Carotid-sinus reflex (http://www.mermaidscuba.com/lingo.shtml), which in short is your bodies response to excess pressure around your neck. The body slows the heart rate in response to pressure and can make you feel air starved.

"I was wearing a rather heavy wetsuit, and at the dive site I decided to add a vest, since it had a hood, and I get cold easily. I don't know if it was the vest or what, but my breathing felt a bit constricted on the surface..."

I can't be sure, but that may have added to your uneasiness. Things just built up as the conditions proved to be less than ideal. Double check the equipment for a good fit and consider buying your own if you have not already.

Let us know how your other dives go.

Arizona

If your breathing felt constricted on the surface then I suspect the vest was too tight. That will restrict your breathing. I once added a tight 2nd piece over my full wet suit and really had some trouble breathing when on the surface and out of breath. We were doing mostly surface work to finish my divemaster class and it was calm so I stuck it out after telling my CD of the problem and telling him I was OK to continue. Upon exiting and climbing the hill in gear I actually had to unzip the 2nd piece as I had trouble catching my breath. Immediately I felt better and was able to breath normally again. It was just too tight over my chest so I could not really fully expand my lungs and it restricted my breathing.
Sounds to me like the vest gave you the same problem. Try a larger size and see if that feels better. You do not want it to be so tight across your chest that you cannot easily fully inhale.
Arizona is also correct that too tight a collar around the neck can cause problems as well.

Jumpfrog, I wear a 7 mil 2 piece with a separate 5 mil hood, so there is about 19 mil worth of neoprene around my neck area. I don't feel constricted there, but if I cinch my bc too tight over everything, I can feel like I can't get a good breath on the surface. Maybe you had it too tight? Just a suggestion. Underwater I am fine (everything compresses).

Also I noted your instructor checked to make sure your BC was inflated all the way on the surface. This can also feel very constricting (I'm sure you've done that and know how that feels). I've done it on the surface, before descending, and with all the neoprene as well, plus a BC maybe cinched too tight, it can cause my heart to race and breathing to be difficult. I no longer wear things so tight and I have no problems with breathing.

Find a whistle and clip it to your BC or stick it in a pocket if you need to. At the very least you want to be able to signal for help should that happen again. It is always going to be harder to swim on the surface in current/chop than underwater. Of course, you were having difficulties breathing anyway, and you wanted to be on the surface. But it was probably not the best place for you.

Anyway, you learned a few things from this experience and now it will make you a better diver! This is how we all learn - I'm sure your next dives will be much more enjoyable and yes, you will be a competent diver, no doubt about it :)

My bet would be that the primary issue was the suit/vest, but there would seem to be a bit more to this.

Panic is something every human can and will do under the right conditions... the condiions vary tremendously from person to person. Clearly, a bit of panic played a role in this (don't feel bad about it, or think you are the only one to have that happen)

The snorkle/breathing salt water did not make things better.

I would have your regulator checked also... while not the biggest part of this, things can add up.

Being weak is part of having your chemisty totally messed up... no surprize there.

There are a couple more other issues that could be at play, some you should check out and some are ones you need to get yourself comfortable with.

Thanks for the feedback...I am going to ditch the vest tomorrow, and that may solve the breathing problem. And I will get a whistle...I had a safety sausage, but there was NO WAY I could have gotten it out and deployed it in the state I was in. A whistle would have been ideal...of course, staying calm would have been better, but failing that...

Hey,

Thanks for the post... its a great reminder to all of us how problems can snowball. One small problem leads to another and then to another. We all have a point and beyond that we are in trouble.

One point that has not been mentioned yet is your weights... with a thick layering of neoprene I'll bet that you were carrying a lot of lead. In the future... if you are ever in trouble on the surface, be sure to ditch the lead. Signaling is fine but to keep your self above water just drop the weights. I have some recollection of reading DAN accident stats which suggest that a significant proportion of divers who subsequently drown have reached the surface... fail to establish positive buoyancy and than subsequently slip under the water.

Again... thanks for the narrative. You will go forward as a diver... you’re a thinking guy.

I can relate to your experience because I had a similar one during my OW course.

What it came down to was the fit of the equipment as others have said. In my situation it was especially the hood. Not did I think that it was bit tight around the neck, but the fit around my head was not good either. Compounded with a wetsuit that may have been a bit too thick or restrictive and this leads to nervousness and the trouble with breathing that follows. Once I ditched the hood for the next dive the problem vanished.

If you are renting, then it is really important to try on many suits before you head on out to go diving. Even if they are all the same size, they probably will be different. This is especially true if the LDS has a selection of suits from different manufacturers.

Custom fit is better if you can afford it.

Yep, I have felt that when I dove a 7mm semi-dry with a tight neck seal. Now I do a Dry suit with a latex seal that has been trimmed to fit properly and I haven't had an issue like that since.

Watch out constricting the neck, it will do it everytime.

Mike

Hi, jumpfrog, thanks for your post, and for telling us about your situation. I really can't add anything to what's already been said, except to just reiterate what everyone has already told you: you have a brain, you used it, and you'll be fine as a diver. I would encourage you to continue on to get your AOW (assuming you're PADI) then do rescue diver. I'm getting ready to start the rescue course, so I read your story with more than the usual interest.
Also, you did the right thing by calling the dive when you weren't feelin' too groovy... it's always better to abort a dive on which you're feeling uneasy rather than continue it, and end up with a big problem. Live to dive another day, is my motto.
Hang in there, and happy diving!
And again, please let us know how your other dives turn out.

Back
Top Bottom