Surface Freak Out (kind of long-winded)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two stories. A month ago or so I was with a young lady on her OW check-out. We just got into the water, still on the surface, and she complained of some problems breathing and made it clear she wanted out of the water. The BC's waistband was fairly tight and as soon as that was loosened everything was all right.

I shared that because the second story is similar, only this time it was me! I couldn't figure out why the slightly tight waistband was such an issue for the diver in the first story. Then I switched to a new BC. I had a dive where the waistband was riding very high. I didn't notice it on the surface, but when we hit about 10 feet I really felt like I was not able to breathe! I could feel the panic building. Somehow I managed to determine the problem was my BC's waistband and I opened the release. As soon as I did, everything was fine.

I was surprised by the suddenness of the panicked feeling, and by how quickly it went away. I think I can understand how an issue grows to panic, and how a person might feel when panic hits them.

Just to let you know...I did 2 dives today, at the same location and they were fine. I had no trouble at all, so I am feeling pretty good. Oddly, I watched another diver get towed out of the area that I was having trouble in...he was getting swept away on the surface, and someone had to go after him and pull him to the rocks. I guess the current is really strong, and I just didn't have the wind to swim it.

Glad to hear that you got back in and did fine!:)

While it is likely that the problem was related to the wetsuit you said you were having trouble inhaling. I had a student return from a dive with a similar complaint. We checked his equipment and discover his air was not on all the way. Thedeeper he went the harder it was to breath. He returned to the surface, we turned his air on all the way and the dive went fine.

I'm glad your next diving experiences were positive, Jumpfrog.

I know you feel like you panicked too much, but taken together, your posts demonstrate that you handle your urge to panic (which we all have) pretty well.

In your op, you were clearly distressed, but maintained some control in the way you kept going for the rocks. Once you got there, you were able to stay and rest up. Shouting for help is nothing to feel bad about, especially if you need it. In my book, panic would be jumping onto the shoulders of the guy that tried to help you up the rocks. Going out and having a good dive the next day shows some fortitude.

What change did you make in your setup? Did you skip the vest, or loosen up the bc? Or was is just that you were more comfortable with the environment?

I ask because what happened to you could happen to anyone, and knowing the resolution would be a great help.

One of the things this points out is that scuba gear is made for diving, not swimming. A diver on the surface is not an efficient creature, and surface conditions can be challenging. This is one of the reasons that I believe that the dive begins as you head to the water, and doesn't end until all members of the team are solidly on their feet on land. If there is ANY question of challenging entry or exit conditions, nobody goes back alone.

tedtim:
I can relate to your experience because I had a similar one during my OW course.

What it came down to was the fit of the equipment as others have said. In my situation it was especially the hood. Not did I think that it was bit tight around the neck, but the fit around my head was not good either. Compounded with a wetsuit that may have been a bit too thick or restrictive and this leads to nervousness and the trouble with breathing that follows. Once I ditched the hood for the next dive the problem vanished.

If you are renting, then it is really important to try on many suits before you head on out to go diving. Even if they are all the same size, they probably will be different. This is especially true if the LDS has a selection of suits from different manufacturers.

Custom fit is better if you can afford it.

Sounds familiar. I fact I believe there were two divers on their OW check out dives two years ago (that you got stuck with), both of them had similar breathing problems on Day one, using 7 mm farmer's and vests, AND hoods to boot. Fortunately the shop had some of those nice 3mm beanies and 7mm one piece suits .

It was t=that experience that got Judy and into BP/Wings and hogarthian harness. Less stress on the chest.

I had similar problems with a 7mil fullsuit and a 7mill hooded vest over it. I felt very constricted in my chest and neck. I did 1 or 2 dives and while I did not have breathing issues to the same extent that you pointed out I was not breathing as deeply as I am normally comfortable. Unfortunately at the time I did not have a regular hood so I ended up shedding the hooded vest and diving with no hood for the final dive which was shallow and somewhat warmer. I took away from the experience that you need to be 100% comfortable in your dive gear and if you are not comfortable on the surface then it's not going to get any better once your dive starts.

I ended up getting a 5mil hyperstretch hood to go with the 7mil fullsuit, while it's not as warm it is certainly more comfortable for me (And I do not get cold all that easy anyhow). I would say to get this through a shop rather than over the I-Net so you can try it on and make sure you are 100% comfortable.

Oh also as TSandM stated dive gear is not really "Surface Friendly" and doing surface swims is alot harder than doing the same swim under the water. Next time you are doing a surface swim try flipping on your back and letting the BC hold you up while you kick to your destination swimming backwards. If the current allows take your time. Anothing thing that you could do if you are in that situation is inflate a SMB if you have one and use it to help support you if you feel like you are rolling onto your face from your BC and your just to tired to kick anymore.

Glad you learned from the experience and more importantly that you are okay!

-Matt

jumpfrog:
However, I immediately started having some trouble, cause the waves were washing over me, and flooding my snorkel, and I was feeling like I couldn't breath enough from it. I switched to my regulator, but I found it really tough to breath from as I thrashed around on the surface. I felt like I could not get enough air from the regulator either, and I started to feel like I was having a lot of trouble just swimming to the rocks. I flipped on my back, but the waves still washed over me. Then, I started screaming for help. REALLY screaming, not like, "Hey I need a hand here," but "HELP ME!!! ARRGGH! HELP ME!" There were boats not too far away, and I was hoping they would hear me. I kept swimming for the rocks. Finally, I reached them, but my problem was not really solved. I was so heavy and exhausted, that I could only cling to the rock. I was getting slammed up, and then sucked down against the rock. My regulator was around me somewhere, but I couldn't stop clinging to the rock to get it. I was just trying to get up on the rock, but it was impossible with my weights and fins. I was swallowing seawater, and continuing to yell. Then, there was someone behind me...it was one of the other divers from our group (I found this out later; at the time, I couldn't even turn my head to see him). I guess they saw us go up and followed us. He took off my fins, and supported me from the water while I very slowly got myself on the rocks. I was completely wiped out. I could barely move.
Did you at any time during the above sequence of events consider dumping your weights?

It's something a lot of divers overlook ... however, had you thought to do so, you most likely would have avoided the difficulties.

Just something to consider ... once on the surface, if you encounter difficulties, dumping your weights will assure that you REMAIN on the surface, will raise your head higher out of the water, and will make swimming against a current much easier.

Ditched weights are recoverable in most circumstances ... or they're not very expensive to replace.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom