Surface Freak Out (kind of long-winded)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Ditched weights are recoverable in most circumstances ... or they're not very expensive to replace.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Couldn't agree more.

I can't remember where I read it, but there was a saying that something like ' any gift that you can't throw away, is no gift, it's a burden'.:shakehead

I kind of view weights and weight belts along this same line.

If I find myself so afraid to dump my weights because of the cost factor or inability to recover them, then there are no longer a tool to aid my diving, but a life threatening burden. In other words time to get the priorities straightened out... blow a few bucks or drown... hmmm I'll take door number one please.

I did ditch the vest, and I wore a larger size BC. I realize now that the first BC I was wearing was too small...I couldn't get the cumberbund done up. When we tried it in the shop, I wasn't wearing 13mm of neoprene, and neither I nor the owner thought that the wetsuit and vest would make the BC too small. When I think about the squeeze that the fully inflated BC was putting on me, combined with the exertion of swimming in those surface conditions...there was no way I could get enough breath to manage.

Just as an aside (I don't want to drag this off-topic), I got fitted with the smaller BC (I think) in response to my questions about possibly getting a BP/W rig for myself, since I often felt uncomfortable in jacket-style BCs...I don't like the fact that I have a lot of stuff about my middle, and they don't really stay in place in the water (always adjusting). I wanted his advice, but he dismissed the whole idea of BP/W for a novice, occasional diver. He said that we could try a smaller BC so that it would feel more trim. Now, I am not saying that this was the cause of the chain of events at all. I now know what it feels like to have a too-tight BC instead of too-loose (too loose is much better!)

But now I have really kind of blown whatever credibility I had at the LDS, so I am sure if I show up with a BP/W set up I am going to get very little support, but a lot of dubious stares and so on (I'm a chick, and a single diver, and that makes it worse from the get-go.) I think going out again the next day was a good start, but I have a long way to go...

Thanks for the responses everyone, especially those who posted reassurance and encouragement. It helped me to feel a lot better about the whole situation.

Oh Yeah...about ditching weights: Would that have helped? I guess I would have floated higher in the water, maybe been getting less water in my face...but my problem was really breathing.

jumpfrog:
Oh Yeah...about ditching weights: Would that have helped? I guess I would have floated higher in the water, maybe been getting less water in my face...but my problem was really breathing.

I helped tow a diver in who had similar issues to yours once. He calmed down quite a bit just from dumping his lead (and the weight was recovered by another diver).

jumpfrog:
I wanted his advice, but he dismissed the whole idea of BP/W for a novice, occasional diver.

I started with a BP/W on my first post-certification dive. It takes no special skills to use, generally trims you out better, and doesn't wrap a constrictive bladder around your stomach. You'll probably want pockets on your wetsuit or drysuit though.

A Zeagle back-inflate (stiletto, ranger) or something like that is a compromise which has more adjustability and storage while also eliminating the constrictive wrap-around bladder.

I once had a surface panic when I started going to the gym regularly. My shoulders and chest changed, but my custom wetsuit did not. I had that whole shortness of breath thing beforehand too, but it was subtle enough that I didn't realize the problem.

Diving started to not be fun anymore, but I still didn't realize why.

After the incident, I took my suit to a shop to consider getting it altered. The guy there didn't even have to get out the measuring tape - as soon as the suit was on his counter he looked at me and said "I see your problem, the suits about 4 inches too small around the chest."

Anyway, the fixed suit helped somewhat. It was much better.

What really helped was moving from a jacket BC to a BP/W. My first dive was all I needed to know I would never go back. Wide open in front, no squeeze, and I hardly notice I'm wearing it. I'm very very happy with my Deep Sea Supply setup.

I remember a very over weighted person reported they felt the same way when using rental suit. A tightly constricted suit (especially layers of suit) can make your air concomption terrible, and cause feeling of short of breath. You might consider investing in a custom suit or one of the hyperstretch material.

Folks on this board sometime poo poo the notion that a wet suit can affect air consumption, but it is noted by many divers and in some of the dive books I've read too.

just want to add there is a device called dive alert, it is pluged between inflator and inflator hose.
It is that loud that you don't hear much for 5 min after using it, that might have helped you. I have it always with me and never needed it (beside making jokes with kids). But in a situation like yours it would be helpfull.

Arizona:
Jumpfrog,

First, thank you for sharing your experience. This is a great way for us all to learn. I am sure you will have many posts following mine. It is hard to second guess, but maybe the DM should have stayed with you until you reached to boat as the conditions sounded less than ideal. As an Open Water diver your are responsible for your kit which should include a signaling device.

Have you considered packing a whistle? Regardless if you rent or own your BCD, you should make sure one is available so you can signal at the surface if you need to.

Your breathing difficulties could be related to Carotid-sinus reflex (http://www.mermaidscuba.com/lingo.shtml), which in short is your bodies response to excess pressure around your neck. The body slows the heart rate in response to pressure and can make you feel air starved.

"I was wearing a rather heavy wetsuit, and at the dive site I decided to add a vest, since it had a hood, and I get cold easily. I don't know if it was the vest or what, but my breathing felt a bit constricted on the surface..."

I can't be sure, but that may have added to your uneasiness. Things just built up as the conditions proved to be less than ideal. Double check the equipment for a good fit and consider buying your own if you have not already.

Let us know how your other dives go.

Arizona

i learned that Carotid-sinus reflex inducec a bradycardia,not a dyspnéa...difficulty to breath???

Of course heavy gear+bradycardia can cause some dysconfort.

Heavy gear causes an extra workload and you will use accessory respiratory muscles to be able to breathe + reduced pulmonary volumes(~restrictive pulmonary syndroma)+ bradycardia (du to the Carotid-sinus reflex)+physical workload (palming...)+panic ......leadind to accumultion of CO2....dyspnéa...aaaaiiii

jumpfrog:
Just as an aside (I don't want to drag this off-topic), I got fitted with the smaller BC (I think) in response to my questions about possibly getting a BP/W rig for myself, since I often felt uncomfortable in jacket-style BCs...I don't like the fact that I have a lot of stuff about my middle, and they don't really stay in place in the water (always adjusting). I wanted his advice, but he dismissed the whole idea of BP/W for a novice, occasional diver.

But now I have really kind of blown whatever credibility I had at the LDS, so I am sure if I show up with a BP/W set up I am going to get very little support, but a lot of dubious stares and so on (I'm a chick, and a single diver, and that makes it worse from the get-go.)

I'd go back to your dive shop and insist on getting what you want; afterall you're paying for it. I had issues with chest constriction with my first BC (a poodle jacket) to the point where my wife and I actually had add crotch straps to it to keep it from riding up when I was at the surface. After that first season, we switched (both of us) to a BP/Wing set up and have never looked back.

A BP/WIng will allow you to trim out better, is more streamlined and easier to dive....IMHO. Adding a SS back plate, and loosing 12 pounds off the weight belt was (for me) the key to getting my trim under control.

Push for what you want. In the end, YOU have to be comfortable in YOUR gear and damn any retailer who wants to put you inot gear that THEY are comfortable with. If they like it so much, tell THEM to dive it, and find a new LSD.

Back
Top Bottom