Surface supplied air helmet diver drowns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regardless of the manufacturer, it appears to be basically a Miller Dunn hat reincarnate:

Miller Dunn shallow water diving helmets

Actually, the first effort of Augustus Siebe to convert the Deane brothers’ smoke hat for diving was not all that different — an open-bottom bucket with a view port and hose.

Augustus Siebe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What a difference a neck dam can make.
I don't think most people appreciate the value of a neck dam in a helmet - or the pitfalls of doing a face plant without one in this kind of not even a diver tourist situation.

There's a company here offering the "Sea Trek" experience, and although I haven't tried it I don't fancy it, for all the reasons given above. I own a proper SNUBA kit, which an erstwhile business partner bought for use by customers. I really dislike the idea of that as well, and the unit has never been used. Modern SCUBA equipment is so approachable and reliable I see absolutely no need for these problemmatical surface supply solutions.

Let's not walk through the forest either then.

Well, that "barren" sand is likely the home of lots of creatures. But don't take my word for it, check out muck diving or the Blue Heron Bridge Trolls thread on SB.

Let's not walk through the forest either then.

If you walk through the forest off-trail, chances are there will be no trace of it after a few days.

If you walk through a reef (off-trail), chances are you will damage it and it will take years to recover.

That's a significant difference.

The 'bare sand', here in the Philippines at least, is home to many delicate (and a few hazardous) critters. Many species of seahorse, pipefish, shrimp and bottom-dwelling fish - would be destroyed or, at least, disturbed. Not to mention this issue of prevalent stonefish species, which bury in the sand and can deliver a significantly toxic sting if trodden upon.

If you walk through the forest off-trail, chances are there will be no trace of it after a few days.

If you walk through a reef (off-trail), chances are you will damage it and it will take years to recover.

That's a significant difference.

I'll agree with that, and I hope they're not walking on reefs. Surely not.

We have sea trek with those helmets here as a tourist attraction. There is also an attraction where they wear the thing while riding a scooter underwater. Both of them terrify me. As far as I know there have been no accidents but I would never allow my non-diving family members to try either one.

I've seen these things and I always wondered what happened if your air got cut off.. or you had a flood.

Helmet diving is relatively new to the world of underwater recreational exploration. As a diver, I understand the skepticism of the industry towards the safety of operations. I cannot speak for the other operators, however, at Green Island, the Seawalker operations has taken almost 200,000 customers without any major incident. This is due to the rigorous training and safety standards of the company. The majority of customers have little to no in water experience, and it is not unusual that they cannot swim.

I am in Cozumel now and see these units every morning while waiting for my boat, and just do not see them as safe...?

From Chinese tourist drowns at Boracay - Home » Other Sections » Breaking News

Back
Top Bottom