Surface supplied air helmet diver drowns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I am in Cozumel now and see these units every morning while waiting for my boat, and just do not see them as safe...?

From Chinese tourist drowns at Boracay - Home » Other Sections » Breaking News
BORACAY Island, Philippines (Xinhua) - A Chinese national died while helmet diving in Boracay Island, the most popular resort in the Philippines, this morning, according to local tourist police.
Police identified the victim as Na Wang, a resident of Jiangsu Province in east China.
Eugenio Villanueva, tourist police investigator, said the mishap happened when Wang along with her Chinese friends went on helmet diving in Sitio Bulabog, Balabag village.
"The victim was diving 15 feet when her helmet gadget used for diving reportedly malfunctioned, and she was immediately brought to the Boracay District Hospital for treatment," Villanueva said.
Attending doctors, however, declared her dead on arrival.
The Boracay local council has already suspended the operation of helmet diving as police started an investigation.

I saw these things being used in Guam and they frightened the pants off me.

I would rather be at 30m in the dark on scuba gear than 5m in daylight in one of those.

I've often wondered at the regulation of, and necessary qualifications for supervision of, snuba diving. Having worked in the dive industry for nearly a decade, I've yet to see any formal requirements stated for the conduct of these activities. It seems as though anyone can buy the equipment and offer the activity at their resort etc.

There seems to be two 'styles'...

(1) The use of a regulator/mask and long hose from the surface:

3c3d7760a2fe48b988e4aa9c25d81ec6.jpg

(2) The use of a specially designed helmet:

IMG_0141-600-x-400_opt-1.jpg

I believe the 'helmet' style is what is used in Boracay and other locations in the Philippines. I don't believe that any training is provided in conjunction with the activity, to either the operators or customers; including emergency procedures or the issue of participant panic.

The helmet style, in particular, does not lend itself to any sort of 'spit and go' reaction to a malfunction. I think the mask/regulator approach enables easier access to the surface. That said, the issue of lung over-expansion remains a critical factor.

Unlike a DSD, there seems to be no standards for the provision of in-water supervision and 'duty of care' by an appropriately trained and qualified professional diver.

Given the lack of training given, lack of waterskills competence required, lack of apparent regulation and lack of safety procedures in the event of malfunction... I've always shared DandyDon's perception that this was a particularly unsafe activity... an accident waiting to happen.

The helmet style in not SNUBA.

If you read this description of the activity (Boracay info site), you can see that the level of diving knowledge is very low ("oxygen tank"). It also reiterates that the helmets themselves are integrally weighted - a major issue that prevents surfacing in the event of any equipment failure.

The links given in this, and other websites, seem to indicate that 'watersports' centers are the primary providers of the activity, not scuba diving centers.

helmet_diving.jpg

Helmet diving is for those who want to see the underwater world without having to learn how to swim or how to SCUBA. Or if you just want to experience walking on the ocean bed! Quite thrilling in fact especially for non-divers. A small boat will pick you up from the beach and ferry you to where the ‘floating cottage/boat’ is anchored. When you're going down the ladder towards the water, that's when they will put the helmet on and will continue to hold it until you're fully submerged. This is because the helmet is quite heavy and need the buoyancy of the water to carry it. The helmet is connected to an oxygen tank through a really long tube. This will in fact serve as your tether since you can only walk as far as the cord will allow you. Depth is around 5 meters.
Down below, you can see some corals and fish. Take out the bread and more fishes will be swarming around you. You can bring your own underwater camera for this one. They can also take your pictures and videos and they'll charge you extra for that. Quite an interesting experience altogether. Rate per pax is between ₱300 to ₱500 depending on how many you are in the group.
Providers:
1. Napoleon Sea Sports
Mobile No.
Telefax
Email Address
Station 2, Balabag, Boracay Islang, Malay Aklan Philippines
+63 36 2886184/+63 36 2885372
+63 9193959054
+63 36 2886976
napoleonseasports_boracay@yahoo.com
2. Lapu-Lapu Diving Centre
Email Address
Balabag Boracay Island Malay Aklan
+63 36 2883302
info@lapulapu.com
3. NIS Helmet Diving

I actually witnessed this very thing happen to a friend of mine. We were doing what called a sea trek (Helmet dive) when my friend was ascending on the ladder. As she was about 5 feet below the surface her helmet stopped supplying air. Fortunately she was close enough to the surface and already on a ladder she was able to rush up the ladder.

This is known in our parts as sea trek and snuba is not in the same category. Snuba is more like snorkleing with a long regulator hose allowing one to go to the maximium length of the hose which typically is 30 feet deep.

I did the sea trek once and vowed never again. I then tried scuba and became an addict!

"...see the underwater world without having to learn how to swim..." :eek:

The helmet style in not SNUBA.
My bad there. I see that someone corrected the title - thanks!

They have the helmets mounted on some sort of scooter here at Hotel Cozumel, looks like 80 cf tanks on each rig, and maybe they drag them?

I saw trials of vintage helmet diving at the Legends of Diving event in Ohio a couple of weeks ago and all went well, even with kids. The person running it was a retired navy diver who used to use the helmet. It can be done safely in the right hands.

Somehow I find the notion of walking on the sea bed to be completely disregarding conservation ideas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom