Surfing spots in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
OOOPs, I made a big mistake in my post....I was half asleep when I wrote that Suquijor had waves.....I meant Catanduanes, off the southeast tip of Luzon. So soddy.

Yup, Pacific waves in Catanduanes. ...and it's Siquijor, Hank. Siquijor is know for stories of "aswangs" (vampires and other urban legend creatures).

At last fellow diver-surfers! If anybody wants to arrange carpool or gas sharing to go to these spots PM me. My personal faves are La Union and Daet, camarines. Went to Zambales once, and it was like my last blind date, flat and disappointing.

boljakool:
Yup, Pacific waves in Catanduanes. ...and it's Siquijor, Hank. Siquijor is know for stories of "aswangs" (vampires and other urban legend creatures).

Another mistake...I know it's Siquijor. One of our biggest competitors in the shrimp hatchery business, Pioneer I believe was the name, had their operations there. I remember the tales of aswangs.

SAddleback, I did Zambales many times back in the 80s. The company I worked for had a big hatchery near Iba that got buried by the ash from Pinatubo....after it got hit by HUGE waves one time. (it does happen when typhoons are in the S China Sea)Never got it bigger than 2 feet or so (from the back of the wave) but decent shape and offshore winds. For sure though, diving is for when there is no surf. It's cool but waves are way more fun. Too bad I"m gettin old.

The first time I tried surfing was in Catanduanes. The place is called Puraran Beach. From Virac it's about 4 hours - 3 hours by bus, 1 hour by trykie ride. You'll be travelling over mountains and the road gets pretty bumpy at times. You can also rent a 4x4 from Virac to get there (I met a couple of Australians there who did that).

The waves range from small surging waves to 10ft plungers. Not sure if there's diving there as well but I saw night lights on while I was drinking on the beach. The accomodations are very humble - no showers (just a pail with water and a "tabo"), self flush toilet, no a/c, but there's electricity.

If you want to go to a place which is really out there & underdeveloped, then that's the place to go. Just travelling to Puraran really made me realize how huge this planet is and how many places of paradise I have yet to discover.

The hut. Fits two comfortably.
hut.JPG

The beach during slack tide:
beach_1.JPG

beach_2.JPG

beach_3.JPG

chip104:
sorry mikey, didn't know iris then. Looking at ideas for the honeymoon? :wink:
Yea we are going to pool together and send the two of you someplace romantic yet rustic....

Mr Chip to serve at 15 - 30 down in the 2654454894787148th set.

Back
Top Bottom