Suunto Cobra vs. Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asckar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, I haven't poseted in a while, so bear with me...

I am currently in the market for a new computer as my old faithfull Genesis React Pro has gotten a bit beat up over the years. I'm looking at Suunto, primarilly, as I like the fact that sports guages is what they do. I was originally looking at the Cobra which is air intergrated and has all the bells and whistles but I'm not too sure that I like trusting my tank pressure to an electronic device (as opposed to an analog guage). Thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Then there's the Vyper, which has almost all the same stuff as the Cobra but is not air integrated which would give me a three guage console (I want a compass on the front of my console so that I can navigate and review dive info simultaneously), thus adding drag to my profile. Any thoughts or feedback on the costs and benefits of the Cobra vs. the Vyper would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

I like a nice analog gauge for my SPG, and having my Gekko on my wrist feels much more natural than looking down toward my waist when I'm on my ascent. :D

AI is a nice whistling bell, perhaps, but I'd consider it merely lagniappe. I wouldn't want it to replace my SPG (meaning I'd have to get another hose or go wireless), and I wouldn't trust an AI computer to tell me how much air time I had left (it can't tell how I'm feeling or what the conditions will be, both of which are of primary importance when I'm doing my numbers). That said, having the air consumption numbers from during the dive *would* provide interesting data to correlate with conditions (mine and the dive's), but that would be all.

Incidentally, though, can you not also add a wireless transmitter to the Vyper at some point in the future, should you desire the AI information? That would give you the best of all worlds (analog SPG, wrist-mounted computer, air consumption data), and as it would be lagniappe, you needn't worry about losing sync. :wink:

(When does the Vyper 2 come out, anyway? Or, more properly, when does the computer *after* the Vyper 2 come out, which should put the Vyper 2 in my price range? :D)

Hehe, well, I imagine the Vytec is a bit out of the budgetary range being discussed here, eh? :D

Bought a cobra, feb 2002, no problems in over 400 dives, use a vyper (right wrist) as the backup; as it's the same computer, sans air integration, no problems. Changed the batteries in both a couple years ago. I do carry a hp hose and spg in the bag just incase, that way no dive would be cancelled. :D

I did take the sk-7 off the cobra and bungied it to the the back of the left hand, makes for better alignment when navigating, (can twist it a bit clockwise on the back of the hand).

tony

I have had no problems with my cobra. Not sure it is any more prone to malfunction than an analog spg. I have never heard of one failing to provide pressure data (although, I'm sure someone may have).

Doubt you will loose much with either choice. Good luck.

Thank you all for your input. It seems that there is some confidence out there that the electronic spg (a.k.a. the Cobra) is at least as trustworthy as an analog unit. Hmmm, I really do like the Cobra. Think I might have to put out the extra dough.

Thanks again!!

asckar:
Thank you all for your input. It seems that there is some confidence out there that the electronic spg (a.k.a. the Cobra) is at least as trustworthy as an analog unit. Hmmm, I really do like the Cobra. Think I might have to put out the extra dough.

Thanks again!!

the Gauge is as good as an analog - but have you ever heard of a battery failing in an analog guage??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom