Suunto Cobra vs. Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh course if the battery dies with any computer when it has AI or not you are going to be bummed. So the above it a red herring unless you are diving tables with an analog watch :D.

Now regarding the accuracy and precision for analog and digital. Analoge is good for about +/-50psi while a digital pressure gauge is +/-25psi this is on a 0-5000psi range. For all intensive purposes this is the same. Now a digital guage has more arithmetic accuracy eg. it can resolve (display) a lot digits but after the first two they are not significant. The same for an analog gauge just the first two are significant. This is because with the better guages there are ticks marks every 100psi. Which means at best you can resolve 50psi (also the accuracy).

Now in terms of reliability I have had three digital pressure gauges go. I have not had an analog guage go. A good brass SPG is probably more reliable. However, I still use AI and I am currently using a wireless transmitter. I like it because I am too lazy to log my SAC and I like to be able to look and see what my pressure is at a glance. But if I was diving in over head environments I would use my analog spg as the transmitters would just not take being wacked. And that also goes in general.

My suggestion is that if you like the AI do not be afraid to buy it. (BTW we have or have owned two Cobras - I would highly it or the Geeko/Vyper/Vytec, not a fan of the D6/D9 and the jury is out on the new Corba2 Vyper2 which I recently played with).

Cobra 2 & Vyper 2 will be on the market this coming Spring...

So, shop wise....:wink:

Actualy have had the AI in my Cobra go for a crap it bounced from reading tank pressure to reading 0 back and forth for over an hour would have aborted but it was just during BOW checkouts in less than 30 ft of water so realy wasnt to concerned. That being said it was immediately replaced under warranty and the replacement has been fine for 2 years. just be careful where you get any Suunto from as many sellers are not licenced for the warranty .

I would buy another if that was the type of Comp I was looking 4

Packhorse:
And what do you do it the battery fails in your cobra? Call the dive.
And what do you do if the battery fails in your Vytec? Call the dive.
I fail to see the diffrence.

You're 100 ft down, you look to see how much gas is left, Oh Shoot.

Hmm, so I'm back were I started with my original question. Maybe I'll wait until the Viper 2 comes out and go for the wrist mount (computer w/compass) and keep my brass spg hanging from my side. I do like the Cobra though... if only I had a warm and fuzzy about the AI piece.

CIBDiving:
You're 100 ft down, you look to see how much gas is left, Oh Shoot.

Sorry I still dont see your point. A battery can fail in your timing device (OK I know there are some automatic dive watches but not many) or in your electronic depth gauge or in a AI computer. If any of these failed the result is the same. Call the dive.

Packhorse:
Sorry I still dont see your point. A battery can fail in your timing device (OK I know there are some automatic dive watches but not many) or in your electronic depth gauge or in a AI computer. If any of these failed the result is the same. Call the dive.

Ask a few of the divers from around detroit about river diving.
Yeah, call the dive and go straight up into a shipping channel - a very busy shipping channel. There are a lot of senerios that have a 'soft' ceiling. Time isn't as important as how much gas is left. If you dive enough, you can even get the approximate time from how much gas you used. Using your logic the D9 is the way to go, put all the eggs in one basket so to speak, I mean who needs a compass in an emergency - you can always find UP right?

asckar:
I do like the Cobra though... if only I had a warm and fuzzy about the AI piece.

If you like the Cobra get one. Just be aware that there are situations that it is not optimal.
You May find you don't like a console, many don't - I don't.
Personaly, I don't like AI, I tried it once. An older Dacor console that had a digital pressure gauge and an 'air remaining in minutes' readout. Both annoyed the snot out me, first the darn time remaining thing was next to useless, it only used up screen space that could have been used for something I NEEDED to know. And a digital guage is blingbling it's still only accurate to ~25 psi +-. So do I need to know I have 1323 psi left? Trust me at 140 ft on air, you'll look at that twice.

CIBDiving - This is probably the most useful response so far in turning me away from AI, especially your closing comment. Thanks. Think I'll wait for the Viper 2 wrist mount so I'll have my comp and compass all in one and keep my old faithful brass SPG... maybe...

I have problems with my cobra.

the electronic SPG in my Cobra is failing, they cant repair it...

The Cobra is 3 years and 9 months old.:sad:

Back
Top Bottom