Suunto computer problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brianthediver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,
Just as a matter of interest has anybody out there had any problems with their Suunto computers recently? Things like depth reading innacurately, Computer thinking it's at depth on the surface, pernmanent errors.

No. Make sure you wash it good. I heard people had some salt deposits blocking sensor.

I can only give you 1 data point - my wife has used a Suunto Vyper on 3 dive trips with no issues. I bought it used off ebay, it had something ridiculous like 8 or 9 hundred dives on it already, and we've never had any problems with it.

Historically, there's been a string of Suunto computers with depth sensors that have failed rather early on in life. Numerous threads over the years, such as Suunto depth sensor failure. For more background, do a :search:.

In general, there seems to have been a batch or two of bad sensors get into Suunto computers, leading to failure of the computer after several years. Almost all computers use similar sensors regardless of manufacturer, and are subject to the same failure. People appear to have had more issues with poor service on the part of Suunto's (or their US rep's) in responding to customer complaints.

However, as iztok said, first make sure that the sensor and holes are clear of salt. If the unit has ever dried out while still salty, it's often been found to be very difficult to redissolve the salt mixed with other minerals. Do a search for more techniques, but off the top of my head, I seem to remember some people having success with overnight soaks in warm fresh water, possibly with a spot of vinegar, among other possibilities.

Thanks for the replies,
I work in a dive centre and in the last few months we have had a large number of Suunto computers in showing these different problems, I was just wondering if this was a worldwide problem or just local to NZ.

Thanks for the replies,
I work in a dive centre and in the last few months we have had a large number of Suunto computers in showing these different problems, I was just wondering if this was a worldwide problem or just local to NZ.

It's world wide problem and generally a problem with any computer that uses Intersema pressure sensors.

Eric

I have had my Vyper2 give me a false reading in Nitrox and Air mode but not gauge mode.

yea, I had a Cobra that went to depth at surface and basically when I called they told me it was the depth sensor had went out. If you bought it new, send it back and get it prorated, if you did not and warranty is out, buy another, cause its the same price to get it fixed I was told. sorry, I hope I'm wrong, and If I am, and you find a cheap way to fix. please re-post as I would love to have mine fixed as well.

My Suunto Cobra just recently died. I turned it on to retrieve the dive information after soaking it from the last dive, it started up in dive mode and wouldn't turn off. I thought it would simply be an issue of popping the battery but apparently it gave bad data during testing. Since it was out of warranty, I'm trying to decide on its replacement. :crying2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom