Suunto D4 a good buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, D9 has 3 mixes switching
AND
looks prettier :)

I had a prototype D4 to review, and I also got some freediving instructors to give it a go as well, to test that side of things. It replaces the Mosquito and fits better into the D series of computers.

It is well-made, easy to read and navigate and, as it has pretty much the same basic innards as the D6 and D9, there hopefully shouldn't be any gremlins appearing.

If you are thinking you might be looking to advance your diving and possibly end up doing accelerated deco, etc, then it might be worth saving up a bit and going for a D6, which gives you two nitrox mixes.

I've got both a D6 and a D9 and the only real difference is that the D9 comes with a transmitter and does a third nitrox mix - and it looks more 'bling, bling'. I actually prefer the look and size of the D6 as an everyday watch, the D9 is a bit clunky.

Mark

I'll agree with maged_mmh
I also use a Stinger (Have done so since 2001) and can see no reason to "upgrade" to a D4 or even a D6

The deep stops are something we pretty much do anyway. If I've done a particularly deep dive, I'll always do a stop for a couple minutes, usually in the 15-20m range before ascending to my safety stop.

Where I live the Stinger is about 20% more expensive than the D4. not sure how it will be priced anywhere else

Thanks Mark!
I finally got someone who actually had used D4!!

about D6, yeah, if my LDS has one on sale I think i will go for that (or a stinger?? seems like users are very happy with it..), and a D4 for the wife..

Just last question to you, viceroy and maged_mmh,
what is the difference between D4 and stinger?? I checked on suunto site but apart from gauge mode (stinger) vs (deep stops), there hardly seems any difference in functions. however stinger does seem better built..
can the free dive mode on D4 be used as gauge mode?? if not, whats the difference?

thanks!!

I'm not 100% how the freemode on the D4 would handle being used in guage mode...someone with actual experience would need to clarify that.

On the Stinger, guage mode starts as freemode and if the dive exceeds a few minutes switches automatically to guage mode and locks out the computer for 24 hours (I meant 48 hours)

thanks viceroy,

I just found out the difference (assuming its the same as mosquito) ...you can use D4 but it will give youa warning after 5 mins of dive. it will still calculate. however, your watch will be locked out for 48 hrs with no scuba option. which is the same with stinger as the computer cant calculate your next NDL..

are there any other differences between D4 and Stinger? is it only built quality? coz if so, then the D4 looks like its a pretty good computer.. :)

D4 came up as a replacement for the mosquito which was entry-level DC.
as you said, both mosquito & D4 had lower craftsmanship & cheaper construction materials hence the price difference; basically RGBM algorithm used in all is the same.
for the gauge mode; as I recall after a brief time in free dive mode (5 min??) the mosquito would switch to gauge mode automatically (maybe El Orans can verify since he did use mosquito); wonder if this is the same case with the D4?!
since you made up your mind about the D6; I would suggest you go for the stinger for the wife - she'll thank you later; keep in mind the better build = longer life. the only advantage that that i can think of for the D4 is the real time dive profile display; but, hey! I can wait to get home! besides maybe some users will consider it as unneeded clutter.

PS. maybe the looks of stinger are not that appealing to females: my OW instructor was a lady of about 130lbs. she had stinger and actually pushed me to get one; I was leaning to uwatec range. She has my gratitude ever since.

Last edited:
Yeah...the Stinger is heavy and very clunky for a woman.
She might actually prefer the D4 esp if it is lighter because the Stinger is not light at all...weighs about 100g compared the the 50g of my fiance's Mares Nemo.

The only real difference between the Stinger and the D4 is the Deep Stop function on the D4, but like we said...not needed as you can make that choice yourself on a deeper dive.

Free/Gauge mode seems to be very similar, so also not a difference

The Stinger is a more chunky, more solid unit, but from all accounts the D4 is pretty good in the build quality department too (having read a few of the freediving forums).

Maged_mmh, how is your strap holding out...after about 8 years, my strap is starting to get a little old, so I'm thinking of changing, but cannot find anything locally and I refuse to pay $50 for a new strap

well, although I am considering D6, its up to my LDS if they have any when the sale is on later this week. it all depends on what they have on stock. if not, stinger might be an option for myself. :) . with 25% discount stinger will come to less than D4 retail price.

as for my wife, as you said she might prefer the D4 look. also, she's not considering to advance any more than maybe AOW so i think D4 will be more than enough..

btw, thanks for taking the time to let me know about stinger option.. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom