Suunto Dive Computers and Decompression Diving? Advice wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only major difference between the D6 and D9 is the transmitter. So what are you doing if your computer goes **** up? What is your back up?
I am never alone on deep dive in advanced nitrox, I am always with a buddy, if my computer has problem, I use a computer from my buddy and stay longer in stop decompression.

I'd like to say that you can use a dive computer, even a recreational one within its limits, on deco dives.

But DON'T think that using a dive computer will replace training on this aspect. This isn't learning to identify fish, it is critical information for your health and well being.

After taking the first course(s) in technical diving (usually what is needed to cover all mixes of deco gases and deco profiles/considerations), you'll understand that using a dive computer is just ONE of the tools you NEED.

In addition, you'll have to have the redundent gear and back up the computer with calculated profiles, both for your intended dive and if you lose deco gas (yes-it can happen).

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that unlike recreational diving, once you get into situations where direct ascents aren't healthy, the complexity of the plan and dive go up exponentially.

Since you are a curious learner, I do suggest that you take the intro course(s) for technical diving. You'll learn far more about ALL of your diving, not just deco/technical.

But gauge mode doesn't provide any decompression data at all, it is just a timer and depth indicator. My question relates to using the Suunto D6 in DIVE mode (either air or EANx) not in gauge mode as I want to keep a track of decompression times.

Decompression dives are planned in advance because the dive parameters are limited by how much (and which) gas(ses) you bring along. It doesn't do much good if your computer says you have a 20 minute deco stop, if you only have 3 minutes of gas left.

Terry

I am never alone on deep dive in advanced nitrox, I am always with a buddy, if my computer has problem, I use a computer from my buddy and stay longer in stop decompression.

With all of the diving you have described I am quite amazed at this reply. IMHO this is a very very bad idea for more than a few reasons. :shakehead:

@ Scared silly and nereas : You dive only in warm and luminous water and in the very good visibility. I dive in very dark and very cold water at 40°F and the very bad visibility, I don't think you have experience in these conditions. If you want to dive alone in these conditions and if there is a little problem, it will be sure that you will be victim. It is your problem.

@ Scared silly and nereas : You dive only in warm and luminous water and in the very good visibility. I dive in very dark and very cold water at 40°F and the very bad visibility, I don't think you have experience in these conditions. If you want to dive alone in these conditions and if there is a little problem, it will be sure that you will be victim. It is your problem.
I think they're refering to using your buddy's computer; which is a bad idea in most opinions:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom