Suunto Dive Computers and Decompression Diving? Advice wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ Scared silly and nereas : You dive only in warm and luminous water and in the very good visibility. I dive in very dark and very cold water at 40°F and the very bad visibility, I don't think you have experience in these conditions. If you want to dive alone in these conditions and if there is a little problem, it will be sure that you will be victim. It is your problem.

Actually if you will put on your glasses and look at my avatar, you will see a drysuit and twin tanks. It was a very cold day, that day, in the waters, and the vis was about 10 ft.

Whenever you go into deco, you should have 2 of everything, including 2 timer-gauges, rather than be buddy dependent.

Last edited:
I dive in very dark and very cold water at 40°F and the very bad visibility

Well ain't that special.

You dive only in warm and luminous water and in the very good visibility.

How would you know, you have never dove with me? I have dove with some guys from Switzerland but that was over a decade. According to your profile, well before you were diving.

I don't think you have experience in these conditions.

My first dives were in cold dark waters - I probably did them before you could wipe your own butt.

You are making assumptions here. Very, very poor assumptions. However, none of the above is germane to the discussion at hand.

As, Nereas and I referred to and maged_mmh said - deco diving relying on just a computer and your buddy for back up is a really bad idea.

Top 5 reasons why one should not do deco dives with just a computer (and relying on buddy as a backup):

1. No pre planning - choices of gases may be not optimal.

2. No pre planning - deco obligation may be more than the gas on hand.

3. Computer dies and you lose your buddy in the dark cold waters.

4. Computer dies and your buddy has a very different deco obligation.

5. Difficult to adjust deco schedule cause you do not know ahead of time your required stops.

As I have said cut tables (with contingencies) and a depth gauge and bottomtimer are my primary. My computer is my backup. So yes two depth gauges and two timers.

Last edited:
Actually if you will put on your glasses and look at my avatar, you will see a drysuit and twin tanks. It was a very cold day, that day, in the waters, and the vis was about 10 ft.

When you yourself go into deco, please remember to have 2 of everything, including 2 timer-gauges, rather than be buddy dependent.

And please spare me that germanic "better than anyone else" notion. When my ancestors were building marble temples to the gods, yours were eating bugs and wallowing in the dirt. Thus your logic, which my ancestors invented, is not too good, even now. Maybe in another 1000 years?
The visibility on my dive is 1 ft, even 0 ft. It is a good idea to have two computers, but it is not a good idea to dive alone in these conditons, it is too dangerous, if you have a narcosis, a sickish feeling.

Well ain't that special.

How would you know, you have never dove with me? I have dove with some guys from Switzerland but that was over a decade. According to your profile, well before you were diving.

My first dives were in cold dark waters - I probably did them before you could wipe your own butt.

You are making assumptions here. Very, very poor assumptions. However, none of the above is germane to the discussion at hand.

As, Nereas and I referred to and maged_mmh said - deco diving relying on just a computer is a really bad idea.

Top 5 reasons why one should not do deco dives with just a computer (and relying on buddy as a backup):

1. No pre planning - choices of gases may be not optimal.

2. No pre planning - deco obligation may be more than the gas on hand.

3. Computer dies and you lose your buddy in the dark cold waters.

4. Computer dies and your buddy has a very different deco obligation.

5. Difficult to adjust deco schedule cause you do not know ahead of time required stops.

As I have said cut tables (with contingencies) and a depth gauge and bottomtimer are my primary. My computer is my backup. So yes two depth gauges and two timers.
If you are afraid to lose a buddy in the bad visibility, it is very important to see often a buddy and to stay always together. If you lost a buddy and you do not find it during a minute, there is necessary to return, but while remaining very calm.

Now, the technology of computers is very performant and many prefer a dive computer, because it is more accurate with the depth, if a computer dies, a table is used as a help. For trimix, one still employs a table as principal, but with advanced nitrox, one does not employ so much any more a table as principal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom