Suunto dive computers and ScubaToys/Leisure Pro??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

planetary soul:
Hi folks,

I'm interested in buying a dive computer and after researching a bit, Suunto sounds pretty good. I'm considering buying online and after reading more about LeisurePro vs. ScubaToys, I like the idea of havign the manufacturer's warranty through ScubaToys. But... I couldn't find listings for Suunto computers (or uwatec!) on ScubaToys. Do they not sell them?

Thanks for your help.
megumi

================================

Can't go wrong with either of them in my opinion. Have shopped with both.

That said ...I have to date purchased 3 Suunto computers from LeisurePro - No Problems.

If you buy any Aqualung/SeaQuest/Suunto product online, the warranty is null and void (as has been said..). AL has a very strict no-online, no-mail order policy...as does ScubaPro now I believe. So you aren't going to find a Suunto online...you'll have to visit and LDS for that.
And as far as the Suunto's go...you can change your level of conservativism. There are three pre-sets, each with increasingly conservative models...so the choice is yours. As far as that being a good or bad thing...I guess it depends. Are you an incredibly in-shape uber-diver...or are you one of the more average among us for whom a tad of conservativism is a wiser idea?

Just some thoughts...

Cheers,
Austin

3-Ring Octopus:
And as far as the Suunto's go...you can change your level of conservativism. There are three pre-sets, each with increasingly conservative models...so the choice is yours. As far as that being a good or bad thing...I guess it depends.

Yes... our standard joke is they start out very conservative, then you can set it to where if there is high humidity you need to go directly to a chamber. :D

I know some folks like the very conservative dive computers - and that's why we carry some like the RGBM Mares - But I also tell people that diving with a computer is easy... Jump in the water and don't let the big number hit zero. You want to be more conservative? Don't let the big number hit 5... even more... then 10.

Just like a car... Just because the speedometer goes to 160 and the pedal can go to the floor, it doesn't mean you have to drive that way.

scubatoys:
Yes... our standard joke is they start out very conservative, then you can set it to where if there is high humidity you need to go directly to a chamber. :D

I know some folks like the very conservative dive computers - and that's why we carry some like the RGBM Mares - But I also tell people that diving with a computer is easy... Jump in the water and don't let the big number hit zero. You want to be more conservative? Don't let the big number hit 5... even more... then 10.

Just like a car... Just because the speedometer goes to 160 and the pedal can go to the floor, it doesn't mean you have to drive that way.

As usual,SCUBATOYS has a very good comment here. You can set your own level as described above.

The TUSA models [Seiko], RGBM Mares, etc are pre set "conservative".

Oceanic and Aeries are, some say, liberal. Just set your own level and, if you want to be more conservative "Don't let the big number hit 5... even more... then 10."

If you know someone in Canada that you can have the unit shipped to you can order a new suunto through divetank and get the great price + the full manufacturer's warranty. they can't ship new units to the US.
I paid ~$250 USD for a new gekko.

scubatoys:

So you wouldn't carry Suuntos, even if you could?

kari

Karibelle:
So you wouldn't carry Suuntos, even if you could?

kari

No, at least not unless they made drastic changes to their policies. I'm very happy with the balance of computers we carry now and feel we have something to fit anyones diving needs between the oceanic / aeris, tusa, mares, Delta etc.

Suunto as a company operates in a somewhat hypocritical fashion. You can buy their watches ANYWHERE online from authorized dealers, but ohhh no, not dive computers! :confused: :mooner:

It get's worst as it appears that it's OK for other countries to offer Suunto Dive products online, just not the USA, but I'm not 100% of that.

There have problems with some Suunto models. You can search the boards to see the discussions.

The D9 Titanium model sure is pretty! :D At $1800~2000 it's one of the most expensive Dive Computers on the market.

I've used both LP, and ScubaToys. ScubaToys is really hard to beat. I generally use LP if they have closeout sales, or for things ScubaToys does not carry. I would use ScubaToys for ANYTHING they stock, period.

While quite a few people seem to want to diss Suunto, I'm sure I've read other threads here stating the strength of their customer service and warranty replacement policies. As a design engineer responsible for placing products in the marketplace, I also fully condone a manufacturer's right to control how their products are sold and by whom. To compare a dive computer to a watch is plain stupid. Sorry. Micro-rant over. :)

can i ask for more info about people getting locked out with a Suunto? I bought my Vyper thru Leisurepro, they gave me the same warranty as the manufacturer, just for background. The price was great and I love it.
However, what kind of diving would lock you out? Was this on a liveaboard or something like it? I know that I did 2 morning dives once, did an afternoon dive, and then did a night dive all in the same day and it never locked me out or errored. I'm curious as to how much diving would lock you out. You must be a dive animal <grin>!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom