Suunto DM4 Won't Install on Windows 7?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I managed to find the offending file in my temporary internet file cache.

I have uploaded it to my storage server. It can be found here

64.151.109.98 - /test/

Right click on the link and save as....

I already installed this but it seems to be a net framework. It has no other functionality as far as I can tell.

After installing that file, I tried running the movescount setup file again but got the exact same error.

edit - found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gtk_Sharp

Last edited:
I installed on a 64 bit Window 7 with no issues outside the bad program itself. Go to SUUNTO.com and download the program there from Download Center and User Manuals | Suunto them there selecting the SUUNTO dive computer you are going to be connecting.

Ok, I'm going to fire up a VM and see what it looks like.

DOH!!

I forgot that I had Virtual XP installed on my system in a VM.

I just went through the setup procedure, it needed to download 3 files including GTK-Sharp, DotnetFix and a C++ runtime distribution. (the runtime files were already in my Win 7 setup)

But, as soon as the files were downloaded and the installation procedure started, it failed with exactly the same error as I had on the Win 7 desktop.

When I checked the hidden folders, DotNetFix and C++ dist had files but nothing in the GTK-sharp folder (same as Win 7)

tried again nope, same thing

Thanks for your input. I dont mind the software for what it is, allows me to see my dive from another point of view

Ok, I see what's wrong.

The setup.exe does a prereq check for the gtk# redist by doing a search based on Windows Installer ProductCode {550B72C4-F404-4812-971F-947E835A877E}. If a machine doesn't have this installed it does the download. It then does a digital signature check and an MD5 hash check on the download and the check doesn't match so you get the error message.

I downloaded the gtk# and installed it by hand but it still fails the ProductCode check because the ProductCode has been changed to a different GUID. This is typically done when doing a Major Upgrade. Except the file name and version hasn't changed so it tells me they don't have a clue what they are doing.

Ok, so how to work around this?

1) Make sure GTK# isn't installed.
2) Download the GTK# directly from their website. http://download.mono-project.com/gtk-sharp/gtk-sharp-2.12.10.win32.msi
3) Download and install the MSI database editor 'Orca' from Download: ORCA MSI Editor
4) Right click the gtk-sharp MSI and select Edit With ORCA
5) Click on the Property table
6) Find the ProductCode property row and change {04AE3BBC-ABFF-42CC-9F90-5B35D229328A} to {550B72C4-F404-4812-971F-947E835A877E}
7) Save and close the MSI database
8) Install the GTKSharp MSI interactively

Now you can run the DM4 setup.exe and it should skip trying to install GTKSharp. The rest should now work.

If you need help doing this, PM me and I'll arrange a goto meeting session to help you out.

chrpai,
You Sir are a genius!!!!

Just one thing to add. I had to run the DM4 Setup.exe file as an administrator.

So, it is working but are there any samples to view?

Reactions: Jax
Yes, the exe needs elevation but it doesn't have an embedded manifest to indicate that to the O/S (UAC).

FWIW, I've been doing installers for a living for about 16 years now. I get paid to solve problems like this and better to prevent them from happening in the first place.

Reactions: Jax
Further problems.

DM4 will now start by running the Setup.exe file but will not run by clicking its icon. Attached image is the error message.

In addition to all this, I did some searching through my hard drive and as far as I can tell, DM4 runs only from an internet connected computer - am I correct? I can't test this because I can't run it properly yet.

Suffice to say they are no dll or exe files in any folders on my PC that I can find, only the USB driver files.

There is absolutely no way I will be using any net only software.

In the meantime I also contacted Suunto support via their website and referred them to this topic.

I read some bad impressions of this software before trying this for myself, but this is really unbelievable.

I was just about to buy a Suunto D4i for my daughter but there is no way I am going to do that if this is the best they can come up with.

So if anyone from Suunto is reading this, you just lost another sale.

Attachments

• DM4 Error.JPG
    DM4 Error.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 708
DM4 is a ClickOnce app so it doens't get installed in Program Files, it gets installed in the ClickOnce cache. For my machine it looks something like:

C:\Users\chrpai.DEV\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\CKQ6CX62.MQ2\XYPA94Z8.A53\suuntodm4_63d5c7c889cb2f3a_0001.0001_none_b2560970ca1dca2d

The DLL it's looking for is found in C:\Program Files (x86)\GtkSharp\2.12\bin

The installer also put's the directory in the system path so that the clickonce app can find it's dll. So check that also

It's working on my machine in that the application starts. Did you click on a certain button or something to get that exception or did it just happen on startup?

Back
Top Bottom