Suunto DM4 Won't Install on Windows 7?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apparently this problem has now been solved by Suunto.

Refer to this message by Chris@Suunto

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/suunto/432253-q-suunto-diving-products.html#post6469550

I read the message from Chris@Suunto but trying to download DM4 in Windows 7 today (3rd May 2013) I get the same error as reported above -
"...GTKSharp\gtk-sharp-2.12.10.win32.msi has changed since it was initially published. Click OK to retry..." Retrying does nothing.
So either hasn't been fixed, or hasn't been fully fixed :depressed:

I tried downloading it today on two computers.
One is a Windows 8 64bit and the other is a windows 7 32 bit.
I get the same message on both computers.
The software as far as I'm concerned is junk if there has been a problem for this long and it's still there.
I'll consider another brand in future, and in the interim I'll pay money for divelog 5.0 and use that.
We bought a couple of ZOOP computers. I don't mind the computer, although I believe the software goes hand in hand.
If DM4 covers the range of Suunto computers, then as far as I'm concerned there's no put looking at any Suunto products next time.

I contacted Suunto helpdesk about the problem loading DM4 onto Windows 7. A helpful adviser there pointed me to a software patch to fix this. Details as follows:

1) Download GTK installation packet by http://dm4.movescount.com/gtk-sharp-2.12.10.win32.msi link
2) Install the file
3) Run DM4 setup.exe

That has worked fine on my DW7 machine (came up with an 'unhandled exception' error at one point during the installation but after a reboot the software installed OK). Cable connection seems a bit temperamental but the package does give a nice view of the dive profile :)

I merely want to use the USB driver for Suunto then use Diving Log 5.0. I couldn't get MD4 to install even after mucking with the gtk...msi. I've contacted Suunto and sent them a screen shot of the issue. It has to do with the hash mark for the install file.

Error:
c:\users\*my profile*\AppData\Local\Temp\random.TMP\SuuntoUSBDrivers\suuntousbftdi.exe has changed since it was initially published.

My workaround was to install DM 3.0 which unfortunately installs Suunto's dive software but at least I can now d/l my computer.

On another note, scroll to the bottom of the EULA for DM4. It's funny. At least the EULA works... :~

Suunto, I am a Win 7 software developer, as are others that have offered assistance, and find myself very frustrated at what should be an effortless install. My advice is to stick with your expertise and farm out the other stuff to those that work with these problems every day. Your current effort seems quite amateurish. Is this how you want us to think of your approach to your products in general?

Since uninstalling the last version and trying to move up to this one, I no longer have access to my diving records and the history that I associated with those dives. That's right up there with burning my log books.

Grade: FAIL.

Can you get back on track? I want my dive profiles and all the other info I used to keep with my records. My computer at the beginning of the next season may not be my historic favorite.

SAHoward:
Suunto, I am a Win 7 software developer,
really ?
SAHoward:
Since uninstalling the last version and trying to move up to this one, I no longer have access to my diving records and the history that I associated with those dives. That's right up there with burning my log books.

Grade: FAIL.

Can you get back on track? I want my dive profiles and all the other info I used to keep with my records. My computer at the beginning of the next season may not be my historic favorite.
Menu Help -> About -> Copy Log folder path to clipboard
open a text editor, paste the clipboard
open the explorer, search the path and you will find your current DM4.db
try to find a similar path for the previous installation.
else this previous one has been kept and you can move it, else it has been erased when uninstalling.

never uninstalling without backed up, isn't it ?

Last edited:
Greetings all,

We shared a link to this thread in the Suunto Manufacturer Q&A forum. They monitor that more, and we thought they should know about the problems you are experiencing. Hopefully they will come up with a solution soon!

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom