Suunto Eon Core vs Shearwater Perdix 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Friends don't let friends dive Suunto. If those are the two options you are considering, without reservation get the Shearwater.

Eventually one of the few remaining Suunto fans will show up, but not many of them left.

Full disclosure. Yes, I'm a Shearwater fanboi. Not because I love spending money but because their computers and service are second to none. I've been diving Shearwaters for over a decade. They hold their value extremely well allowing you to sell your current model and upgrade in the future if desired. I currently own a Peregrine, Perdix AI and Perdix 2. I formerly owned two Petrel 1s that I sold at a very nice price relative to what I paid for them.

If you do buy the Perdix 2, don't use alkaline batteries. Technically they work, but Shearwater themselves discourages their use apart from short-term emergency use. Multiple threads on the topic. Stick with Energizer ultimate lithium (the current recommended battery by Shearwater), SAFT or rechargeable lithium batteries.

So far these have all been quite subtle but if I am reading them correctly I think folks are suggesting the Shearwater has a slight edge. :)

When my Suunto pressure sensor died which was a known fault, Suunto refused to repair or replace my DC as out of warranty.
Bought a Shearwater Perdix several years ago. Best DC I have ever had. MY good dive buddy who is an instructor with other 1500 dives also bought a Perdix after seeing mine on many dives. Best thing so easy to see in low visibility conditions lol Easy to upload to dive log.

Get garmin descent mk2i, its great, it can probably do almost everything Shearwater can do as well as its an amazing smart watch/outdoor companion.

Get garmin descent mk2i, its great, it can probably do almost everything Shearwater can do as well as its an amazing smart watch/outdoor companion.

Nice option ... except the OP didn't include that one on his list. Perhaps he doesn't want a watch-sized PDC? Many don't.

Nice option ... except the OP didn't include that one on his list. Perhaps he doesn't want a watch-sized PDC? Many don't.

Yup I do not own a watch so the Perdix and the large clear digital screen was key for me.

He said these 2 were offered by his LDS, perhaps they are not selling Garmin. Regardless, I am wearing it everyday and really enjoy it.

He said these 2 were offered by his LDS, perhaps they are not selling Garmin. Regardless, I am wearing it everyday and really enjoy it.

It is an awesome unit. But that isn't what many of us want in a dive computer. Everyone is different. IF I wore a watch every day and IF I wanted a combined fitness tracker and dive watch, I'd get a Garmin in a heartbeat. For me, I don't want any of those.

It is an awesome unit. But that isn't what many of us want in a dive computer. Everyone is different. IF I wore a watch every day and IF I wanted a combined fitness tracker and dive watch, I'd get a Garmin in a heartbeat. For me, I don't want any of those.
I wear a watch every day - that's why there's the Omega Seamaster and the Sekio SLA037 repro. With the bargain NERD 2 from Silent Explorers blowout sale, only one wrist will be burdened by Perdii on the upcoming trip so I'll probably have the Omega on the left wrist...

I'd be interested in the Garmin as a backup computer if it didn't require a different transmitter. I like that it has GPS tracking, and those details could be added to my logs.

Back
Top Bottom