Suunto Eon Core vs Shearwater Perdix 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely, without a doubt get the Shearwater.

Do you still have the transmitter from your VT4.0? It will work with your Shearwater. If you have it, but it doesn’t work (and is Oceanic branded) send it in to Huish with $120 and they send you a factory refurbished one that works.

Seriously, I thought this thread was a joke. If a friend of yours recommends a Suunto, keep an eye on them, because they clearly don’t like you.
I didn't know my Oceanic transmitter would work. That's good information! Thanks for letting me know before I sold it. And no, no joke. Since I started diving in 1997 all of my dive computers have been Oceanic. I have absolutely no experience with any other brands and nothing in the last 10 years since my VT 4 worked for what I needed. After all the responses, I will be getting the Perdix 2

I didn't know my Oceanic transmitter would work. That's good information! Thanks for letting me know before I sold it.
No problem. Any of the Pelagic transmitters (Aqualung, Oceanic, Sherwood, etc.) marked with MH8A will work. The Shearwater Swift will as well, but unless you are dealing with several tanks and transmitters on a dive, there is really no advantage to going with the Swift.
And no, no joke. Since I started diving in 1997 all of my dive computers have been Oceanic. I have absolutely no experience with any other brands and nothing in the last 10 years since my VT 4 worked for what I needed. After all the responses, I will be getting the Perdix 2
That’s largely the progression I went through as well. All Oceanics until I got the Shearwater. Still have several Oceanics that my daughters use (VT4.1, Atom, and Veo). You’ll love the Perdix.

I've owned both.
I like the Suunto customizable interface better, but between really poor customer support and having to send out the tank pod for battery changes I got a Perdix 2.
Wow, really? I haven't delved into the options on the Suunto, but I can't imagine a computer being more customisable than the Perdix, especially it it's in Tec.

Wow, really? I haven't delved into the options on the Suunto, but I can't imagine a computer being more customisable than the Perdix, especially it it's in Tec.

Yeah my Suunto had nowhere near the interface options I have on my Perdix. I also am a recreational diver but dive in Tec Mode since the day I got it. Do note you need to spend a lot of time reading the manuals and learning the Shearwater. After that you think damn, why I never bought one before.

Absolutely fascinating thread. Overwhelmingly anti Suunto. Seems that Suunto's poor design decision pigeons have come home to roost.

The thing with the Shearwater Perdix is they’ve built a superb dive computer that will work with any kind of diving, simple recreational to extreme technical diving, even CCR. The user interface is a revelation in simplicity. The technical mode shows all the info you’d ever need including SurfGF. They don’t do silly lockouts and even allow you to change some parameters underwater (gasses that weren’t programmed in, gradient factors). The simple single AA sized battery is available anywhere in the world requiring no tools, just a coin to change it over. A SAFT battery lasts a season. It’s solid, reliable and takes a battering…. Shearwater Cloud is a great dive logging tool that syncs across your devices (phone, tablet, Mac, PC). Also has bungee holes.

Suunto is literally the antithesis of Shearwater's philosophy. Proprietary algorithms, overly cautious, Suunto CYA as standard, lying MOD calculations and stupid lockouts turning it into a brick. Rechargeable batteries are a pain and have shorter life than replaceable batteries. It’s also thicker on your wrist so will more easily catch on your harness.

IMHO , Suunto make a great compass, end of story.
There I said it.
They do. My land nav compasses (and my underwater whisky compass) are Suunto.

Advice to them folks - man's got to know his limitations (Harry Callahan).

The Suunto interface can be modified in the Desktop app allowing significantly more control of what, how, and where things are displayed. It’s really quite nice. Too bad their customer support isn’t.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom