Suunto Eon Core vs Shearwater Perdix 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get garmin descent mk2i, its great, it can probably do almost everything Shearwater can do as well as its an amazing smart watch/outdoor companion.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not looking for a daily wear watch. I love watches and already have 7 nice watches that I rotate though I don't wear a watch everyday. I also already have a Garmin Fitness watch that I really like. This is just for diving and it goes back in the case when not diving. Also, my LDS doesn't sell Garmin but I would still be open to other DC companies.

I'd be interested in the Garmin as a backup computer if it didn't require a different transmitter. I like that it has GPS tracking, and those details could be added to my logs.
The GPS would be a nice feature.

I dive a Suunto, there I said it, now I feel better! It really depends on the diving you are doing or intend to be doing. The two issues I have with Suunto is lockout and service, if those items were resolved I would keep the Suunto. The issue I have with Shearwater is the cost relative to the diving that I do or would consider. I am recreational only and that can't change due to disabilities, fitness, and age. So, I can't and won't use all the available features of a Shearwater. Now that I have said that, in reality, I am buying a Perdix 2 early next year when I can start diving again, got one more surgery this fall. Why, you ask? The issues I have with Suunto are not fixed and they are significant, and second, I have the funds for the Perdix and it is worth the additional money to overcome the two issues I have with my Suunto. And I believe that is as close to a Suunto preference as you will find here!

Absolutely, without a doubt get the Shearwater.

Do you still have the transmitter from your VT4.0? It will work with your Shearwater. If you have it, but it doesn’t work (and is Oceanic branded) send it in to Huish with $120 and they send you a factory refurbished one that works.

Seriously, I thought this thread was a joke. If a friend of yours recommends a Suunto, keep an eye on them, because they clearly don’t like you.

IMHO , Suunto make a great compass, end of story.
There I said it.
I dive a Suunto, there I said it, now I feel better!

The GPS would be a nice feature.
Indeed it is. But, I won’t say it’s absolutely a must have depending on the type of diving you do. If it’s mostly shore diving with long surface swims, it’s more useful. If you dive mostly off of boats or inland sites, it’s less so.

I use a Garmin MK2s as a backup to my Shearwater Perdix. Since it has it, I use the Garmin GPS for location. Dives done prior with just my Shearwater have location data as well. I would just sync the dive to my log using my phone, and save the location data from the phone to the log. Close enough for my use.

I have a "buddy", no really, we've become great friends, but when he doesn't let me spend his money, he buys the wrong stuff. He bought himself and his wife Suuntos.......... He always has to surface before me. Then we went to Bonaire and his brand new battery died after day 2. He had to pay someone to change the batteries for him. I'm like, wth??? Even my Oceanic backup, I can change the battery out without voiding the warranty. Completely ridiculous.

I have a "buddy", no really, we've become great friends, but when he doesn't let me spend his money, he buys the wrong stuff. He bought himself and his wife Suuntos.......... He always has to surface before me. Then we went to Bonaire and his brand new battery died after day 2. He had to pay someone to change the batteries for him. I'm like, wth??? Even my Oceanic backup, I can change the battery out without voiding the warranty. Completely ridiculous.

Got to love the coin and AA battery quick change on the Shearwater's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom