Suunto Gekko and other low cost computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Gekko is similar to the Vyper, but it doesn't have a backlight and it doesn't have a plan mode and doesn't do gauge mode. There is a way to make the Gekko download your dive profiles, though I think Windows users have to trick it into telling the software its a Vyper by making a small change to the firmware.

The Gekko, Vyper and Vytec compuers all are the same size, which is really nice if you use the DSS bungee mounts instead of the factor straps or console mounts. I don't think the Suuntos are the same size as the Oceanic/Aeris "pucks".

Don't underestimate the value of having a Nitrox computer, it'll be one less thing to change later if you go on a dive vacation that has you doing 4 or 5 dives per day.

Lastly, if you ever decide you don't want the thing, the Suunto computers are among the most popular.

Is the Gekko bigger than a standard puck?

I am planning to buy one and fit it into a Oceanic console... would it fit?

Is there any standard measure?... Just in case I don't buy the Gekko, are most computers of the same size? (I dont want to change my console) :)

Thanks!!!
It would not fit. Suunto makes a gekko console which is extra wide to accomidate the unit. I ended up buying it (I'm the OP and this is an oldish thread) and using it with a DSS bungied wrist mount which is great. I've used it on several dives already and am really liking it a lot.

Many thanks to all!!!

Actually I think, for what I've researched, that the Gekko is a great computer for someone who is entering the computer-diving world (not too common here in Chile, the Gekko costs about US$450 here). The fact is that I prefer to go with a computer that fits my console 'cause I don't want to expend extra money buying another one.

does anyone know if the Aqualung computers are the same puck size that the Oceanic ones? (i.e. Matrix - Veo)

Thanks again!!!

I have a Gekko and recommend it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom