Suunto Gekko nitrox setting when using air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not true, it is the other way around. If you start on Nitox, then no AIR option for 24 hour. Switching from air to nitrox is allowed. I think this is what you ment!

no, hdugan is correct. You cannot change from air mode to Nitrox mode once you've started diving. You may not be able to change mode at all, I don't recall - but usually people don't care so much about changing from Nitrox to Air mode since you can just change the O2 percentage.

no, hdugan is correct. You cannot change from air mode to Nitrox mode once you've started diving. You may not be able to change mode at all, I don't recall - but usually people don't care so much about changing from Nitrox to Air mode since you can just change the O2 percentage.

Strangely there is a difference between the Gekko and the Vyper

From the Gekko Manual
NOTE!
You can change from Air mode to Nitrox mode at any time. It is however not
possible to revert back to Air mode from Nitrox mode before the instrument has
counted down the no-flying time.
When planning both air and nitrox dives during the same dive series, you should
set the instrument in Nitrox mode and modify the gas mix accordingly.

From the Vyper manual:
NOTE!
IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO CHANGE BETWEEN THE AIR, NITROX AND
GAUGE MODES BEFORE THE INSTRUMENT HAS COUNTED DOWN
THE NO-FLYING TIME.
IF YOU DIVE WITH THE GAUGE MODE, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO
CHANGE BETWEEN THE MODES WITHIN 48 HOURS.
WHEN PLANNING SUBSEQUENT AIR AND NITROX DIVES DURING
THE SAME DIVE SERIES, YOU SHOULD HAVE THE DIVE COMPUTER
SET IN THE NITROX MODE AND MODIFY THE GAS MIX
ACCORDINGLY.

Strangely there is a difference between the Gekko and the Vyper

Not that strange at all. Guage mode makes the computer a bottom timer and depth guage only and won't track NDL's. That's why it locks out the nitrox and air modes for 48 hours.

Not that strange at all. Guage mode makes the computer a bottom timer and depth guage only and won't track NDL's. That's why it locks out the nitrox and air modes for 48 hours.

I can understand the gauge mode having a different algorithm for safety reasons.
What surprised me is that the Gekko allows you to change from Air mode to Nitrox mode at any time while the Vyper doesn't.

They're basically the same chip-set and although the Gekko is not supposed to be able to download profiles you'll find threads on this board telling you how to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom