Suunto Gekko nitrox setting when using air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

21% nitrox and air are the same thing. O2 exposure will be the same. Depth isn't relevant. Not sure what you're asking

I'm pretty sure the Gekko doesn't track O2 or PPO2 while in 'Air' mode. That is the main difference in function between 'air' and 'nitrox' modes, aside from the obvious one of O2 percentage. In other words the PPO2 alarm doesn't work in air mode.

Sorry for the brief highjack, but does anyone know who has good prices on the Gekko now that Zoop is due out? Thanks.

Leisurepro are probably still the cheapest

I'm pretty sure the Gekko doesn't track O2 or PPO2 while in 'Air' mode. That is the main difference in function between 'air' and 'nitrox' modes, aside from the obvious one of O2 percentage

Yes; I meant that the actual exposure would be the same

..snip..

The Suunto manual actually recommends that if you are certified for Nitrox, that you change the mode to Nitrox permanently, and just leave the %O2 at 21% when diving air. The reason is that if you start a dive series with the computer in Air mode, then decide you'd like to start diving nitrox, you won't be able to change the mode to Nitrox until the no-fly time expires (end of dive series).
..snip..

Advice definitely worth following. On various occasions I have been unexpectedly offered the availability of EAN in the middle of a dive series.

I've been using my Gekko set to the "nitrox" mode for the past few years. As mentioned, the screen appearance is slightly different, otherwise it defaults to "21%" and works and functions exactly the same as if you had it in "air" mode when breathing air (21%). Keeping it in "nitrox" mode allows me to switch between air or whatever nitrox mix I'm using (up to 40%) and adjust it between dives. Personally, I prefer it set this way for the ease of use as I dive different mixes based on depth, time, and my budget that day.

I read somewhere on the board or on anotehr website that when on nitrox mode it is less conservative, but when i dived with the D9 and the gecko, they showed exacactly the same NDL. ANyway i leave mine on nitrox as it looks cooler!

It's only less conservative if you set the nitrox above 21%, otherwise there's no difference

Anyway I think we can all agree that leaving it on 21% nitrox when diving air provides a benefit and no drawbacks

/thread

I just bought the Gekko as a backup computer for my main computer. So I have never used it. That said I think it is pretty obvious why there is an Air and a Nitrox setting. Given the way the algorithms for residual nitrogen work there is no difference between Air and Nitrox at 21%. My guess is that in Air mode the oxygen toxicity isn't calculated which probably is why you can't switch from Air to Nitrox with residual nitrogen onboard.

But the big reason is that in Air setting you don't see O2% and you don't see oxygen uptake levels. Furthermore, you don't have the oxygen toxicity values. This is unnecessary complexity for someone who is not Nitrox certified. I can see an Air diver being confused by those values especially during a dive. Or even worse, I can see the potential that an Air diver would accidentally set the O2% to a higher value and risk DCS. I can also bet that Suunto's lawyers saw that also. So hence the Air setting that removes all that unnecessary information and values.

If you want to know more about the Gekko and/or see it in action, we just released the Suunto Gekko Online Class.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

If all you use is air there is no advantage. However, if you have a nitrox ticket ,it lets you dive air and or nitrox on the same dive trip.

You can't switch modes unless the computer is 'clean'. So if you started on air and then wanted to do a nitrox dive, you couldn't switch to that mode for 24 hours. Since the computer defaults to 21% in nitrox mode you will never notice the difference if you dive air and have it in nitrox mode. One difference about nitrox mode is it will track O2 exposure while you dive air ;-) not much use unless you are a little deeper than you really should be.

Not true, it is the other way around. If you start on Nitox, then no AIR option for 24 hour. Switching from air to nitrox is allowed. I think this is what you ment!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom