Suunto Gekko

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to buy one because it glows in the dark. I can't read my Tusa/DiveRite/Apeks/Zeagle/ et al/ one in low light, even with a flashlight.

The Suunto Gekko is a great affordable computer. As for nitrox, most computers you find other than dive watches or bottom timers are basically nitrox ready these days and that's not a bad thing. The Gekko is easy to use, simple and gives you everything you need as an entry level computer. I have one and love it. I use dry gloves and get thru the screens easy enough. You can use the dive planner, logs, history, surface interval, everything but a light and tank pressure. You can even load up dive profiles to your computer via a usb cable if you want to go that route. Get a boot and bungee it to your wrist and off you go. Even if you decide to go further in diving it will go with you. A good bang for your buck.

Get a boot and bungee it to your wrist and off you go. Even if you decide to go further in diving it will go with you. A good bang for your buck.

Great, that's what I'm trying to. I just found the Deep Sea Supply boots, didn't realize these were aftermarket items, they look great. The SK7 compass boot looks nice too.

Also, I had the console apart and the SPG housing is way too huge, once the gekko mount is removed. It has a very thick profile since it's still has that expansion where the gekko housing should attach. Is there any better housing for this, I don't want to replace the SPG but would like a more trim housing.

(Edit: I guess I've got the CB-Two and will make it into a CB-One, and it's the CB-one that is far too bulky).

Last edited:
I agree with all others, I dive a Gekko and love it. I will say however that it crapped out on me a few weeks ago, insisted I was still diving as I was sitting on my couch, kept beeping at me telling me I was dying. Sent it in and got a new one back for free. I will also say, when I purchased it originally, the instruction manual came and it was in Spanish, not sure why but I know others have experienced this same issue, they'll mail you one in English for free for it is also available online here: http://media.suunto.com/media/suunto/manuals/en_US/gekko_manual_en_2e271.pdf

Go for it and enjoy!

for your needs, it's exactly what you need/want. enjoy it. suunto makes awesome comps.

Good computer I use them as back ups for those who need them on a charter boat.

Excellent choice, The Gekko is an excellent computer and very reliable & easy to use. I enjoyed mine so much I bought my son one. I have been using mine for approx 4 yrs on the same battery ( I'll change it this year because the gauge is getting close to the replacment mark on startup). Both came with an extra lens.

I bought a Gekko for some vacation dives. I had never used a computer before then and found it really easy to use, especially pulling entries out of the log later for putting into my paper log.

I think I am actually going to sell it. I've decided that I want an air integrated console or watch since I'm starting to buy the rest of my gear. Nothing against the Gekko-- I think its a great deal and has a ton of features.

Back
Top Bottom