Suunto Gekko

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious....how does changing it to a bungee make it easier? The band it comes with seems pretty simple to me.

Have you ever tried to put on a dive computer with wrist strap while wearing thick gloves? I've seen some divers resort to using their teeth to help cinch up the strap. The DSS bungee mount is the way to go.

I'm glad that the OP is buying the Gekko. It's a great value. The only thing that I wish it had is a gauge mode. Otherwise, it's easy to use, displays large enough numbers, and has amazing battery life. And, yes, dive profiles can be downloaded using the appropriate cable. Search on this Board or Google to see how to do this.

I don't wear thick gloves, that is likely why it wasn't immediately obvious to me!

I don't wear thick gloves, that is likely why it wasn't immediately obvious to me!
You need to get some thick gloves. It's all about the gloves man!!! Thick gloves are da bomb!!

I had, and was very pleased with my Gekko, until I started into tech stuff. For recreational dives, I don't see the need to go to anything fancier.

I'm glad that the OP is buying the Gekko. It's a great value. The only thing that I wish it had is a gauge mode. Otherwise, it's easy to use, displays large enough numbers, and has amazing battery life. And, yes, dive profiles can be downloaded using the appropriate cable. Search on this Board or Google to see how to do this.

There is a gauge mode ... You just have to bend it first :p
I used my gekko as my back-up timer/gauge when I was starting out with my CCR ... it would beep at me a lot after the first dive, but then worked great as a gauge :)

The download thing is nice - I tried it out with a friend's cable. I never purchased my own cable, but would have considered it, had I stayed as a rec only diver.

I have a Gekko... it was one of the cheaper options available when I bought it, and I can't see any reason I'd need anything more until a start getting into technical diving. Maybe something less conservative from what people say, but that fact hasn't really bothered me yet.

I have had mine for awhile and its a great computer and will do more than what you will probably ever use..I prefer a console rather than a wrist model, especially on boat dives and wreck dives..wrist models can get hit a lot and go through a lot of screen protectors, but that is a personal choice..you definitely cant go wrong with the computer though..enjoy

Mine came with an extra screen protector. This was my first dive computer and I highly recommend it. I prefer the wrist mount so I can keep my pressure gauge tucked in close. I like the way the display is laid out and it's lower profile (compared to many models I considered). I do dive Nitrox as well as air. The Gekko is easy to set up.

There is a gauge mode ... You just have to bend it first

That's interesting - makes you wonder why they didn't just make it a menu option

Maybe they figured they'd sell more Vypers this way? (I know I bought one because I wanted gauge mode!)

I have had mine for awhile and its a great computer and will do more than what you will probably ever use..I prefer a console rather than a wrist model, especially on boat dives and wreck dives..wrist models can get hit a lot and go through a lot of screen protectors, but that is a personal choice..you definitely cant go wrong with the computer though..enjoy

I cant imagine why a wrist mount would be subsceptible to more damage? I am in the water between 50-60 dives a month most of which are from a boat and havent replaced a screen protector yet.

We have 2 Gekkos with a total of more than 1000 dives. IMO the Gekko offers the most bang for the buck of any computer available today. It is simple in operation and just about bulletproof. I believe that Leisurepro is currently selling them for $250, with free shipping.

Being new to diving I have been looking at computers and the Gekko was one I was considering, after reading through the posts I may well invest in one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom