Suunto Mosquito VS. Citizen Hyper Aqualand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Hyper Aqualand allows you to save multiple dives in memory and download to PC (interface is included). Dive time, length, depth vs. time is all available when downloaded (graph). I don't remember anything in the manual regarding pushing the buttons or not, but I bought it to dive with, so I push the buttons if I need to while I'm diving (only for the light so far). The screen itself shows (in dive mode) depth, temp, dive time, and I believe max depth. It also sounds an audible alarm if you are rising too fast.

I guess the best question is, what really constitutes a bottom timer in your mind?

ton:
Im want to buy a dive computer and I has 2 choices which one does everyone feel is a better buy?

Suunto Mosquito VS. Citizen Hyper Aqualand.

Thx.

I have both watches (Mosquito and Citizen Cyber), they are both nice computers, the Hyper Aqualand is NOT a computer.
The Mosquito is much lighter and you can change the units from metric to imperial, you can change the battery yourself, BUT it is very easy to scratch the plastic face (it comes with a detachable clear plastic face protector which affects the readability).
The Citizen Cyber is quite heavy, you get EITHER metric OR imperial units and you recharge the battery with an included charger that uses AA common batteries. It has a saphire crystal which is very, very scratch resistant

PurduEE:
The citizen isn't a dive computer. If you need dive computer functionality (determining nitrogen loading, calculating NDL based on previous dives and surface intervals), you'll need to get the mosquito. The Hyper Aqualand will provide you with your profile (depth vs. time), max depth, water temp, dive time, etc. It's a very complete dive watch, but it's not a computer. Citizen does have a dive computer watch called the Cyber Aqualand, but as far as I know, it is not sold in the US.

I bought the Citizen Cyber from leisurepro.com at a nice price. It is the imperial units version (units are not interchangable as in the Suuntos)

For me the plastic face protector on the Mosquito works fine. The readability is not affected to an unacceptable level, at least not underwater. The nice thing about the Mosquito is that it is pretty versatile (also EAN mode), small and uses a nice algorythm (RGBM). Furthermore you can load your dives into your PC through the interface. That you can do your own battery change is also a nice, cost saving feature.

ScubaWim:
Mosquito uses a nice algorythm (RGBM). .

Does it mean it also has the same "too conservative" problem Cobra has which I keep reading about on this board?

Personally, I hate the screen protector that comes with the mosquito and threw it away the day I bought the unit. I recommend using a simple plastic digital camera screen protector (1" x 1.5") - the kind without adhesives. They stay on U/W, don't add to the size and allow the watch to mantain readability (esp. on the surface).

I also had the Hyper-Aqualand and loved the watch, but found the cost of replacing the battery and the weight to be significant problems. I also found that size of some of the characters hard to read without corrective lenses (which I didn't have in my mask at the time).

The Mosquito is a great computer/watch, but I don't find it to be a suitable "backup" for my Uwatec since RGBM algorithm appears much more conservative and following my primary Uwatec can frequently put me into deco with the Mosquito. So, unless you're using another computer with RGBM (or similarly conservative algorithm) as your primary, I don't find the Mosquito to be a very good backup. YMMV.

For my kind of diving "too conservative" is not a problem. I am not diving
to any limits anyway. For me conservative means safe, which is my
main reason for using a computer.

steffi:
Does it mean it also has the same "too conservative" problem Cobra has which I keep reading about on this board?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom