Suunto Vyper...any feedback on this computer? Thanks!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverKKC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, folks. I have the opportunity to get a fairly priced Suunto Vyper wrist computer for my girlfriend as her first dive computer. I know it can do all that is needed, just wondered if anyone had any feedback, positive or negative, on the computer.

Does it have nitrogen loading, ascent rate, no decompression limit (time remaining), and depth on the main screen? I would like my girlfriend to be able to get all of her important info without having to search. Here are a few questions;

-water activation?
-diver replaceable batteries, right?
-PC downloadable?
-audible alarms?

Thank you very much for any feedback...much appreciated.

Water activation - yes

User replaceable batteries - I don't think so? but batteries last a long time, four years of diving for me untill it went from 4 bars to 3 bars on the battery condition.

PC Downloadable - yes, some say the Suunto Dive Manager software is not the best, but it works well for me (of course, in my family, no one but me has any interest in looking at thier dives - they just want the basic data for thier log books, hence the Gekko's).

Audible alarms - yes

We have 4 Sunnto's, 2 Vypers and 2 Gekkos. They are easy to use, easy to read, easy to adjust (Nitrox % and time for example). They are also known as conservative computers, I like conservative when I am diving with my loved ones. It has a very sensitive accent rate alarm, again a good thing as it teaches you to ascend slowly if you don't want the alarm.

It makes a great bottom timer, it she goes beyond recreational diving.

One last point, what computer do you dive? For me, it made sense for all of us to have the same computer/algorithm, that way we all have the same feedback on our wrists, prevents confusion.

Hope this helps......M

YES
YES
YES
YES

The battery is user changeable. It takes one CR2450, which lasts a long time. I changed my Vyper battery at about 480 dives, although it was still showing 3 bars.

vyper_large_v3_m56577569830534107.jpg

More information (and less misinformation) can be had from the
Suunto Vyper website.

I speak from having a Vyper 2, yes to all you questions, and I can add that th compass feature is infuriating.

It's a good choice. I like a simple display with big numbers. It does nitrox, whether or not she's certified for it yet. If you're a Mac person, there are two programs out there that will download from Suunto in OS X.

I was at the dive shop the other day, and they mentioned that Suunto is making the Vytec to take the place of the vyper. They were showing some interesting things with the software. I was also told Suunto was planing to offer it under a thousand sans the transmitter. So you may want to check that out. If anyone has any more info on it I too would be interested in hearing it.

I use a VYPER, have had no problems with it, find it easy to use and read, thinking about buying a second one as a back up. I think it's a great computer for the money.

Thank you all for the information, I really appreciate it. Jorgy, I use an Oceanic Veo 250. I had planned on getting her the same....just came across a very good deal. I know the Vyper has a conservative algorithm, but I've only heard positives, so I might grab it for her.

Again, thanks folks. Happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom