Suunto Zoop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Suuntos conservatism has a lot to do with the type of diving you do, & whether you know what it will penalise you for on any given dive. If you do 2 or 3 dives every weekend, you may hardly notice the penalty someone on a 10 day live aboard, doing 4-6 dives a day would have progressively imposed.

Yep, and given the residual nitrogen build-up in the slow release tissues over such intense, multi-day, repetitive dive profiles, conservatism is a very good thing - especially for a novice diver who may still have occasional buoyancy issues. :)

In that respect, I'd describe Suunto computers as 'forgiving' rather than 'too conservative'.

On the other hand, all the algo's used by the main DC manufacturers have been validated with many dives over many years. In the end, I think your chances of getting bent using a Suunto, are no better or worse, than any other.

I think everyone here has pointed out the features and downside of the Zoop quite well. If you are looking for a first computer it will serve you well. If you are diving 4-6 dives a day for a week straight you will notice it restricts you more than some other computers. Personally, I think this is a good thing. If you are diving that much you are probably pushing the limits and a little bit of safety buffer can be a good thing.

I use a Zoop because I don't need much else. Some day I'll get into trimix and decompression diving. At that point a new computer, bottom time, etc. will be a drop in the bucket compared to the other costs of tec diving. The Zoop will continue to be the computer I use for DSD, OW classes and Caribbean vacations.

When I was deciding on a computer I found a few with all the Zoop features for under $300 (Mares Puck was another). I picked the Zoop because (a) I got a discount from my shop and (b) I just liked the feel and look of it.

Thanks for all the input guys, I just ordered the Zoop! It will be my first computer and I'm sure it will last for years to come.

All Suunto computers are very conservative and I don't know why. They don't need to be so conservative. I would go with the Oceanic VEO 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0 if I were you. You get a lot more bottem time with an Oceanic computer, but if you want it to be more conservative you can set it to that. You have a lot more options with Oceanic. I wouldnt by any other computer.

Thanks for all the input guys, I just ordered the Zoop! It will be my first computer and I'm sure it will last for years to come.

Congrats! Another Zoop user here and I also like the conservatism. Enjoy.

while you wait for the real Zoop, take a virtual one for a spin with our simulators :wink:

divepal_zoop_20111014.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

All Suunto computers are very conservative and I don't know why. They don't need to be so conservative. I would go with the Oceanic VEO 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0 if I were you. You get a lot more bottem time with an Oceanic computer, but if you want it to be more conservative you can set it to that. You have a lot more options with Oceanic. I wouldnt by any other computer.
There have been a number of reports (do a search here on ScubaBoard) in the last couple of years about Oceanic wristwatch-style dive computers (e.g., Geo) having "low battery warnings" following the first battery replacement. Some people contacted the manufacturer about this issue and were instructed to short circuit the battery terminals. For some, this provided only a temporary fix. For others, the issue persisted.

Has Oceanic fixed this problem with the Geo computers yet?

It sounds like a pretty annoying issue since the issue crops up after the typical one-year manufacturer's warranty has expired. Perhaps Oceanic has extended the warranty in such cases. I don't know...

Congrats! Another Zoop user here and I also like the conservatism. Enjoy.

Oh plaeaze, the color's groady............

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom