Swamper Bogrady Does NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bogrady, great report. Thanks for sharing.

Day 3 Friday Sept 21 – South End of Lake George

I’ve been without internet access for the last few days, so I’m posting the last three days of dive reports all at once.

Key learning from the last two days – you have to have a boat to dive Lake George – so today we headed for Yankee Marina Boat Rentals in Bolton Landing and rented a 24’ pontoon boat. Our dive plan was to hit one of the wrecks and to find some deep cold water.

boat6.jpg

We selected Diamond Island, a very small outcropping of rock just of Diamond Point. The east side of the island had the wreck of the “Forward”, and the south tip of the island has a moderate rock slope down to 100’.

diamond.jpg

The “Forward” is one of 3 major wreck sites in the south end of the lake. New York State provides mooring buoys on all the sites which makes them an easy dive. Of the 3 sites, the “Radeaux”, at 105’ is the oldest intact military wreck in North America and is the best dive. However, due to its archaeological significance, you need a permit to dive it, and permits are only available from Memorial Day to Labor Day. The other site is the “Lost Fleet of 1756” a collection of British war boats that were lost in 1756. This site is essentially down to just planks and ribs, so we decided to skip it.

The “Forward” is a 35’ tour boat built in 1906 that burned and sank around 1910. This is a VERY easy dive. You follow the mooring line down to about 35’ where you find a sign (yes, and actual sign) welcoming you to the wreck and providing all the directions and instructions you need to find the wreck and traverse the rest of the assorted things that the State of New York has provided. They actually mark the path with small white reflectors every 5’. There’s a logbook tied to the sign that you can make a “Bill and Chris were here” entry in.

The “Forward” is just a partial hull but it does have both engine blocks still intact and attached to the hull. It takes about 5 minutes to see it all – twice. Continuing along the marked path you find (thanks to another sign with an arrow pointing to the left) a surprise bonus wreck, the “Perry” a small wooden cabin cruiser. Overall we did about 50 minutes at 35-40’. Viz was in the 10-20’ range. Water temp was in the mid 60s.

For the second, and last Lake George dive, we moved to the south tip of the island, dropped anchor in about 3’ of water and dropped down the line. We followed the contour of the lake bottom to about 70’. Water temp hit 56 degrees and viz stayed about 10-20’. Not much to see, but it was cold and sort of deep, so I was happy. We came back up the contour and hit some nice rock formations in the 40’ range. We ended the dive at about 50 minutes and called it a trip.

Overall lessons learned after 3 days on Lake George:
You HAVE to have a boat. Hardly anything interesting is accessible from shore.
The water is VERY clean, but the visibility is about half what I expected – we averaged 10-20 ‘
I really appreciate Lake Travis now – the viz might not be as good, but the underwater features are much better.

One last bothersome point – when we returned the tanks to the shop, I mentioned that while it was nice, I was disappointed we didn’t get to dive any real good rock walls. He informed us that it seems that on Thursday, during our dives at Roger’s Rock, we were within a 50 yard surface swim of “Roger’s “Slide” a 100 foot wall that drops into the lake. If we had only made a left around the point, we would have been right on top of it. Oh well … maybe next time.

Day 4 and 5, Sunday and Monday Sept 23/24– Seabreeze Condo Beach, Long Island Sound, Greenport NY

I parted ways with Chris in Albany on Friday afternoon and headed into Farmington Connecticut to spend a day with my sister. The Portland Brownstone Quarry (profiled in Dive Training Magazine 2 months ago) is 20 minutes away from her place, but without a buddy, I couldn’t dive it. Saturday night I took the New London – Orient Point ferry across the Long Island Sound over to Long Island (THE Island to those in the know).

the-lighthouse.jpg

Arriving on the Island, I made the 15 minute drive to my parent’s beach condo on the North Shore in Greenport.

Sunday morning beach conditions were moderate – 1-2’ swells and I headed for the LDS, Soundview Scuba, for some advice. The guy at the shop cautioned me that viz would only be in the 5-10’ range. After letting him in on what it means to be a Texas Swamp Diver, he happily rented me a couple of tanks and some weight and wished me good diving.

the-beach.jpg

These dives were going to be solo, so I had set myself some strict limits on depth, which turned out to be unnecessary. On this part of the Long Island Sound, you run out of air before you find deep water. The max you can hit on this beach is about 25’, with almost all of the scenery above 15’. I spent the vast majority of my time at around 10’, but it was great diving.

First, I was literally able to suit up on the couch in the condo basement. It’s really nice to get into a drysuit in an air conditioned room.

dressing1.jpg

A short walk to the beach and you’re into the water.

into-water.jpg

out-of-water.jpg

The bottom is a combination of gravel and very large boulders. The boulders support quite an ecosystem. Stripped bass, flounder, bluefish, starfish, hermit crabs are everywhere. This was way better, easier, and cheaper than Lake George.

Got in three dives over the two days, each about an hour. The water got calmer and the viz improved by the second day to 10-15’. Water temps hovered in the mid 60’s. If I had a buddy, I would have gone longer and ventured farther, but this was good enough.

The end of the dives were even easier. Walk to the condo patio, drop the complete rig into a 30 gallon bucket of fresh water to soak, and get a complete hose down of my drysuit by mom. This is how diving should be.

mom-hosing.jpg

I will definitely be back to do this again. If I’m willing to suffer and actually lug my gear, there are several other dives in the Peconic Bay side of the North Fork, along with several wreck sites a short boat ride away. I’m taking reservations from any Swampers that are willing to make the trip with me next time.

Well – that’s it. The gear is clean and drying now. I’ll be packing it up later today. I’ll be back in Austin on Wednesday night and hopefully back in the Swamp by the weekend.

I VOTE you for Trip Reports(s) of the month!!!!!!!!!!

Great write ups and cool photos........your mom looks like a super gal....hosing you down...gotta love it and her!

Thanks for sharing the fun of your trip...next best thing to being there.

:wink: Alan

I agree, that was a wonderful trip report. It read just like a storybook! Thanks!

Overall lessons learned after 3 days on Lake George:
You HAVE to have a boat. Hardly anything interesting is accessible from shore.
The water is VERY clean, but the visibility is about half what I expected – we averaged 10-20 ‘
I really appreciate Lake Travis now – the viz might not be as good, but the underwater features are much better.

One last bothersome point – when we returned the tanks to the shop, I mentioned that while it was nice, I was disappointed we didn’t get to dive any real good rock walls. He informed us that it seems that on Thursday, during our dives at Roger’s Rock, we were within a 50 yard surface swim of “Roger’s “Slide” a 100 foot wall that drops into the lake. If we had only made a left around the point, we would have been right on top of it. Oh well … maybe next time.

Super report, Bill! Felt like I was back there myself! Great pics.

I wish you had asked me to provide more info about Rogers' Slide. Darn, I could have easily told you how to get to the steepest drop-off, but I thought you were more familiar with it from the depth charts I sent and from your childhood experiences there.

Too bad the vis wasn't better for you. The lake must have had a significant algae or pollen event with the unusually warm weather this September.

You certainly made the most of your trip!

Dave C

Yeah - the Roger's Slide thing got by us on several fronts. The LDS in Clifton Park and the owner up at the Northern Lake George Resort both tried to describe it to us, but we still missed it. My son (and favorite dive buddy) will be a freshman at Rensselear Polytech next fall, so I expect to be able to do several more dives up there. I also found out later that a good friend of mine has a boat on the lake, so Anthony's Nose will be on the list. We'll be back!

Yeah - the Roger's Slide thing got by us on several fronts. The LDS in Clifton Park and the owner up at the Northern Lake George Resort both tried to describe it to us, but we still missed it. My son (and favorite dive buddy) will be a freshman at Rensselear Polytech next fall, so I expect to be able to do several more dives up there. I also found out later that a good friend of mine has a boat on the lake, so Anthony's Nose will be on the list. We'll be back!

I used a good contour-lined depth chart and a decent sonar in my boat to scout dive sites at Lake George, including Anthony's Nose.

The Fishing Hot Spots map of Lake George has excellent detail.

I last dove Anthony's Nose about three years ago. On that day, a stiff wind made anchoring near the face too difficult and risky, so we pulled around and found a sheltered shallow cove on the south side of the point, essentially pulling the boat up to shore and doing a shore dive from there.

We had already made some sonar passes over prospective dive paths and chose a heading that let us drop down quickly over a steep boulder-strewn slope to 140'.

Because we had checked the depths of various headings with the sonar, we had a very good sense of where we were in relation the point at that depth.

That allowed us to ascend on the flag line in mid-water-column to 90', then swim horizontally until we came back to the slope again with less worry about going beyond the point.

We finished up with a leisurely swim along the rocky shallower south edge of Anthony's Nose and back to the boat. It was a memorable dive for me.

By the way, that was in early October and we had good vis that year, probably 20-30' in the shallows, and 10-15' at the depth of 140'. The lake was so clear, I didn't need a light to see my gauges at that depth. Quite remarkable.

I've done some solo dives on the other side near the face. That side is even more dramatic because of the huge slabs and boulders perched along an even steeper drop-off. Check the last scanned chart I sent you and you will see how quickly and deep it drops.

Good luck!

Dave C

There is a LDS in Glens Falls (about 10miles from Lk George Village). They can set you up with a charter boat and divemasters that know the lake very well. Also in the summer, you can dive at Hearthstone State Campground. The Dive Center in Glens Falls uses that beach for most of its classes. They have a car, a plane, and a boat there for the students to see. In the rock formations around Diamond Island, you can find Herkimer Diamonds. (lots of work!) She is a dark and cold, but still a beautiful place to visit, and dive! I`m glad you enjoyed your stay in the Adirondacks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom