Swamps & Lakes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sourdough

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I always heard when in Fl don't go into fresh water, then I spend some time here and see people swimming, paddleboarding, snorkeling, and diving fresh water, even in the everglades.

So what's the deal? Do you folks just pick random lakes, rivers, and swamps to dive or only certain spots? What is the logic to freshwater dive locations? How does a lake or river become a dive site? Take your luck when it's not mating season? Live for the thrill? It's safer than most assume?

It’s generally all about the vis. Of all the things likely to kill you underwater getting attacked by random fauna is on the list but it’s a fair ways down. Of all the things likely to make for a crappy recreational experience bad visibility is at the top. If there’s some otherwise undistinguished puddle or quarry somewhere that’s known for being unusually clear that’s where divers will be. Some sort of structure or ecosystem to look at is good too.

Then there’s spearos, treasure hunters, golf ball collectors, public safety, or real industrial divers who go where the work is, but they’re a whole other thing from straight rec dives.

It’s generally all about the vis. If there’s some otherwise undistinguished puddle or quarry somewhere that’s known for being unusually clear that’s where divers will be.
That makes a ton of sense. Other than shoving your face into al the nearby bodies of water how do you go about finding a worthy dive site that's nearby? So far the closest I've found is about an hour drive, and I'm tempted to start jumping into water that's closer just to get more experience underwater without the travel time.

There’s a big difference between the rivers/lakes and springs in Florida. It’s totally fine to kayak/SUP/etc on any body of water. But most of us stick to the springs for swimming and diving, both for safety (gators don’t love cold water plus you can see them!) and visibility (they’re pretty).

Any clear body of water in Florida is likely a spring; the Florida aquifer bubbles up all over the north/central portion of the state, and the water is crystal clear constant 72 degrees year round. Many of the spring vents open into cave and cavern systems; be very careful about not entering those overheard areas if you don’t have training.

Popular OW freshwater diving spots in Florida:

Ginnie Springs (Ballroom)
Rainbow River
Blue Grotto
Devil’s Den
Manatee Springs
Troy Springs
Paradise Springs (Orange Grove Sink; deep)
Blue Springs

Short version: can you see through the water? Great, jump on in.

Sure you can dive the murky swamps and lakes and tannic rivers (people actually drift dive the Sante Fe when conditions are right), but most don’t bother when there’s fantastic clear water alternatives instead. Exception, as noted above, is if you’re looking for something in particular (like shark teeth in the Venice area); definitely be careful diving in low-vis and alligator/snake friends.

So what's the deal? Do you folks just pick random lakes, rivers, and swamps to dive or only certain spots? What is the logic to freshwater dive locations? How does a lake or river become a dive site? Take your luck when it's not mating season? Live for the thrill? It's safer than most assume?
As has been mentioned, spring fed high visibility lakes and rivers are usually the preferred freshwater dive sites. It can also be somewhat time of year specific. Alligators are generally not known to tackle full grown humans. Smaller children and pets are usually at greater risk. But this is not always the case. They tend to be a bit more territorial and aggressive around mating and nesting season, and they can also be a bit more dangerous if they've been fed by humans. So, steering clear of those times, and tourist areas is probably best.

For me, I don't do it because there's really no need. I've done a few freshwater dives, and they don't tend to hold my interest as much as saltwater dives. My freshwater dives were in places like Devil's Den, Blue Grotto, Hudson Grotto. All but Hudson are very clear water. I guess if I couldn't dive in my preferred spots, I may do a dive or two at Devil's or Blue, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Another spot that I haven't seen mentioned is Lake Denton. Many of the dive shops around me do some checkout dives at Lake Denton.
Then there’s spearos, treasure hunters, golf ball collectors, public safety, or real industrial divers who go where the work is, but they’re a whole other thing from straight rec dives.
Just wanted to clarify one thing. In Florida, no one should be spearing fish in freshwater. It's illegal. Spearing in brackish water can get a bit iffy as well. Species that are generally considered freshwater species are off-limits regardless of the water salinity.

It all just depends on your level of risk acceptance.
This is one of the areas I was thinking about when I mentioned the timing aspect. Pretty much every year, around this time, the local news will show a drone shot of the Myakka river. It's a congregation site for alligators at certain times of the year. If I recall, the diver in the article did admit that the time he dove might not have been the best time of the year.

My group were going to drift dive the Sante Fe at Ginnie Springs yesterday. But our plans changed when we saw a gator sitting in the river. Remember once you enter you become part of the food chain!

Remember once you enter you become part of the food chain!
I keep hearing the food chain is having distribution issues because (insert-current-event).

While large animals with aggression & sharp teeth always carry risk, I wonder if alligator have the bad rep that sharks once had. Not that I'm confident enough to test it, but this guy is solo diving with gator in the Everglades in pretty low vis conditions.

From the myakka river story I'm amazed the guy made it out alive, or that people dive myakka at all 😅

Gators are one thing, but snapping turtles are a whole other risk- fingers look a lot like little minnows and I want to keep my digits! Gained a whole new respect for snappers after seeing one bite clean through a broomstick when I was younger. Definitely not something I want to mess with.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom