Swapping dump/inflator valves on wing Q?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Practice your exit out of the ear :p

If the dump started leaking up top, it probably would have leaked down low?

A little muscle memory and that cord is easy to find, just as an over the shoulder inflator or bottom dump became easy to find after learning that basic setup in the beginning.

I'm not trying to be cheeky bugman, I'm just trying to understand. I appreciate your imput and I don't doubt some guys do it. This is an Apex wing and probably the Nomad does have a different dump mount position.
BTW, I discovered that the Apex inflator hose has a cable running internally that does not allow it to be stretched. It can be removed though.

Thats because it has a pull dump feature, you can pull on the entire inflator tube and it should dump from the elbow. Typically, tech divers frown on this setup as they sometimes come loose at inopportune times. I've had it happen to me in OW actually.

Ditch the pull dump and get a regular elbow.

I have a pull dump on another BC but that's not the case here. Just a straight elbow. There is a pin through the elbow and one through the inflator with a cable between. I think it is a safety feature so one can't pull the inflator apart?
Anyways, that was just a side note for anyone who can't stretch an Apex hose and wonders why.
Thanks again for the responses.

If you ever get in a situation where you cant dump using the shoulder, you still have the string on the bottom.

In true sidemount passage, you can't always get your hand down there to reach it.

Swapping the inflator is not a requirement, especially if you only plan on diving OW or larger cave passage. But if you intend on going into any true sidemount passages, the inflator isn't really going to matter. You should be dumping all the air from your wing before you enter the passage because you won't need it. But, like Mat said, you are leaving the elbow exposed to limestone and will likely be crawling out of the cave from that passage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom