Swapping regs/hoses - is damage possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, i agree there might be some annoyance doing this, but it isnt a long and tough thing to swap out the hoses - only on the 1st stage - not taking them off seconds, except thinking about how my set up is at the moment i have a 22-in hose on my backup - if i move the reg over another 4-in (ie to where the left post is compared to a single tank) i am wondering if it will be too short now. The only other hose i have at the moment is a 30-in from the original set of hoses i got with my reg, which i believe is too long. What length hose do you use for the back up?

I bought the reg sets at the same time that I bought my doubles. I kept my singles reg dedicated to singles.

Its not rocket science to change back and forth and its not particularly time consuming. It does require some degree of care in order to avoid cross-threading or other problems that could damage the reg, but not so much as to make the job difficult.

If you decide to swap back and forth, I'd suggest that you (1) carry a supply of hose o-rings and port plugs (HP and LP), just in case you have a problem or lose a plug; and (2) make sure that you pressure test the regs after each change over by hooking them up to a tank before you dive.

Other than the time and inconvenience, I don't see any reason that you couldn't swap. However, if it were me, I'd follow the H-valve suggestion and eliminate the need.

Northeastwrecks:
I bought the reg sets at the same time that I bought my doubles. I kept my singles reg dedicated to singles.
Again with all the money in the world i would do it this way!
Northeastwrecks:
If you decide to swap back and forth, I'd suggest that you (1) carry a supply of hose o-rings and port plugs (HP and LP), just in case you have a problem or lose a plug; and (2) make sure that you pressure test the regs after each change over by hooking them up to a tank before you dive.
I have these things coming out of my ears as it is with my save a dive kit, however when you say pressure test, you just mean hook up to a tank, listen for leaks and of course bubble checks in the water or something else?

Its a question of either $900 or so for two new regs or $300 for two new sets of valves - neither sounds appealing, maybe i will one day, who knows.

Thanks all for help and advise on the reg swapping situation - now back to that hose length - i think my back up is the only one which would be a problem.

simbrooks:
Again with all the money in the world i would do it this way!
I have these things coming out of my ears as it is with my save a dive kit, however when you say pressure test, you just mean hook up to a tank, listen for leaks and of course bubble checks in the water or something else?

I certainly understand. I try not to concentrate too hard on what I've spent on equipment and training.

With regard to the o-rings, just make sure that they are the right size.

With regard to the pressure test, that's exactly what I mean. Put the reassembled reg on a tank, turn it on and listen for leaks. Put a bit of saliva on the first stage ports and hose connection points to see if you get bubbles (you can also use dish soap diluted in water, but I've always got saliva and don't always have diluted soap handy). Take a couple of breaths off of each second stage, then shut down. Do this (1) while you still have access to your tool kit; and (2) before you get in the water.

Have fun and good luck.

I use a 22in. hose on both my doubles and singles setup, however I have Mk25s and the way I route them gives me an extra 1-2 inches plus eliminates any bending in the hose, if you use Zeagle regs (which I think you do) and point them (the hoses) downward (which you should) you'll want a 24 or 26 in. hose for you backup. I dove doubles with Mk16s, which route like DS4s or Zeagles and the 22in. hose was seriously short.

Ben

Although the price isnt bad, 2001 104's, manifold and bands for 725, i think my finances are a bit too tight to really stretch for it, might as well wait til i have the cash to do it completely rather than in little bursts. My little 80's will keep me for now. Thanks for thoughts and help, will try to remember this when i get around to it in a year or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom