Swim Lessons / Technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear ya! I was actually a lifeguard for several years before I took courses to become a swimming instructor. It was a real eye-opener. I found that even though I didn't have any trouble with the swim tests, my technique needed some real work. My instructors pointed out where I needed the work, I make the changes, and swimming got a WHOLE LOT easier and more fun.
Great that you stuck with lessons until you made it "click". Confidence in the water means a lot and should make diving even more fun.

Went for a swim tonight, looking for some additional practice before my next lesson on Wednesday. I'm still not quite in the "doing laps" territory, but improving. I have come to the conclusion though that it is silly to expect any kind of great progress unless I go at least 2 - 3 times a week. Who knew? :D

Gcarter,
This helped me. Goggle Total Immersion.
Lee

Way cool! Thanks for sharing. Devon... that just looks way too hard. No need to keep our swimming secret like these guys. :D

Gcarter,
Lee
Did you order their self coaching tapes or did you take a class? The concept looks interesting.

Congrats on continuing to learn, I agree with most others here that the more comfortable you are in the water the better the experience. I myself used to be a lifeguard and swim instructor and have found that like diving you never are done learning. Every time I enter the water whether it’s to swim some laps or do a dive I am always critiquing my technique and improving my skills. The “click” for me however wasn’t necessarily my techniques for swimming as much as my pace. Once I slowed down my stroke and concentrated on staying streamlined I found I used far less energy and still had quicker lap times.

Gcarter,
Lee
Total Immersion rocks! For years I struggled with the Red Cross method and never made any real progress. Last year I took a beginner class based on Total Immersion and progressed significantly! Very different approaches with the latter focusing on being streamlined and relaxed.

I used the videotape and book from Total Immersion to improve my swimming after my Cave 1 class (it was one of the conditions of passing :) ). It helped, but I think actually coughing up the money for coaching or lessons would help more.

Back
Top Bottom