swim like a fish - I did not.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon-boi:
Hummmphh! I will be doing my OW course in about 1.5 weeks and I've been making sure my swimming was good enough by going to the local pool over the last few weeks or so...but last night has made me wonder....I swam like a complete numpty - just didn't 'feel right' at all. :shakehead

I am just out of having a throat/chest infection which meant I haven't been swimming for almost a fortnight. Perhaps i'm still recovering?

Any other newbies suffered from this irrational feeling of concern about the swim test?
I've been swimming "again" for the last few months. The week before last I just didn't feel right - like I was sickening for something. I didn't swim last week at all, and actually feel better for the break.
Don't worry if you're having an off day, or even week. It happens.

As far as the OW swim test goes, there is no time limit and no set stroke so relax and gently pace yourself.

Sorry if I sounded too flippant about learning how to swim. I agree with Vayu that good swimmers make better divers.

I have gone on to take lots of swimming lessons. I am not a fast swimmer and I will never be a lifeguard, but I can swim for a long time without getting absolutely breathless. In an emergency I feel I could tow my buddy even without all our gear toward safety. I no longer pose a threat to others which is good cause I dive with my husband and son and our safety comes first.

Also keep in mind that as you try to swim faster and faster, the force you're swimming against increases exponentially. So relax, try to swim slower and save your energy. It will be a lot easier.

And stick with it after your class. As others have said, it's very important. I got back into swimming for a class last year, and it was real tough doing 300 yards. But last night I did a mile for the first time and could have kept going. Well, for another 10 feet maybe...

Keep in mind, you are not needing to do a "breast stroke" while diving, in fact, I don't think that would be wise. While under water you will be kicking your feet/legs, you shouldn't even be using your arms as you could disrupt coral and such. I get the feeling from your post that you can swim, but you are not secure in how good you are. There is no need for speed, it isn't a contest to see who gets to the boat first and with the prettiest strokes, you will just need to be able to move and I would say being able to tread water will be a better ability because there are times that you need to wait a while for a boat.

shandajr:
Keep in mind, you are not needing to do a "breast stroke" while diving, in fact, I don't think that would be wise. While under water you will be kicking your feet/legs, you shouldn't even be using your arms as you could disrupt coral and such. I get the feeling from your post that you can swim, but you are not secure in how good you are. There is no need for speed, it isn't a contest to see who gets to the boat first and with the prettiest strokes, you will just need to be able to move and I would say being able to tread water will be a better ability because there are times that you need to wait a while for a boat.

Hi -yea that sounds like me a bit insecure about it....
I do agree with what folks have said - I believe that I need to be a better swimming for my own and others safety - i can do the swimming but just don't feel happy with it all....

Nayways I'm going down the pool this evening to sget on with it a bit better....

Babs-Would-Be-Diver:
I have just completed my Ow and had some problems with weighting etc but do keep asking the questions on this forum. I learnt a lot from other people here. What part of Devon are you in and where are you doing the OW. I am based in Surrey but go to Devon quite a lot!

Babs

Congrats on passign ur OW :D
I will keep asking questions - ur right there's lots of good folks on here.

I'll be doing my training in Exmouth as I'm down near Exeter.

Yeah, I'm totally freaked by the swim test. I've never been a strong, "proper" swimmer. I don't like to stick my head in the water! I can stay afloat though and I tread water well so I'm hoping I can pass the test. I've been around the water a lot, just not a strong swimmer. I too plan on backstroking the entire test.

If you aren't comfortable with your head in the water, how do you go about diving and clearing your mask?

The quickest way to get rid of the problem is to go to a pool, put your head in the water, and breathe with your nose as close as you can get to being submerged. Practice, then dunk your head and exhale with your nose as you do so. Then try swimming a few laps.

Then learn freestyle.

Vayu:
If you aren't comfortable with your head in the water, how do you go about diving and clearing your mask?
Maybe what cork2win meant was that s/he isn't comfortable with the breathing techniques required? (I used to say I didn't like putting my face in the water but what I really meant was that I wasn't comfortable with the breathing and the constant face in, face out that the front crawl requires.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom