Swim requirements for advanced scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An interesting sidenote. When I took PADI OW I don't believe we had to do the 200 swim test. I think we had to do the 300 fins/mask/snorkel one instead (no using arms, but I wasn't told, and offered to do it again the right way- Instructor said "no, that's OK"- I guess because I was fast). As a DMC, the class we assisted in did the 200 test-same LDS, different OW Instructor. I checked out the PADI requirements and it said either one may be done, though Instructors don't usually mention that you have a choice. Something's wrong somewhere in there, no?

I don't know if there is necessarily anything wrong with having a choice like this.

I recently heard an argument that was interesting. An instructor argued that for almost all new OW students, the 200 yard swim is a waste of instructional time. The students can do it, so the time spent doing it is time that could have been used more effectively in scuba instruction. (I had to admit that one half lap into the swim I usually wish I could cut it off because I can see that everyone is going to make it.) He further argued that if they are going to spend time swimming, they might as well do it with equipment and techniques they will actually use while diving.

When I teach a class, I always start talking with the students about their backgrounds. When I hear them say they have a lot of snorkeling experience, I feel pretty sure we will not have many problems. In the last class I taught, none of the students had any snorkeling experience at all, but they all said they were comfortable swimmers. I decided to give this instructor's ideas a try and had them all do the 300 yard swim with fins and snorkel, something I had never done before. They were all clearly comfortable in the water, but they were all also not quite competent with the fins and snorkel. Some had some choking and gasping experiences on the first lap. By the time they had covered the 300 yards, though, they were very comfortable with both.

Another benefit was that I could see that a couple of them had inefficient kicks (bicycling), and I was able to make a quick intervention that allowed them to practice better kicking during the 300 yards. This simple swim test suddenly became an instructional exercise.

I am not quite sure where I stand on this now. I will have to give it more thought. I do think, though, that my last class benefited, even if only a little, from having used fins and snorkel.

I agree John, there is little need for a student to swim some specified distance, what needs to be done is to assure that the student posses sufficiently developed watermanship so as to be ready to learn to dive. That is why when I wrote NAUI's standards I included an option to cut the swim test short after a few strokes when it was obvious that you were wasting everyone's time. The difficulty comes in when greedy shops or instructor abuse that freedom and pass virtual non-swimmers (or at least people who are not comfortable in the water) on and try to teach them to dive ... they are accidents waiting to happen because they are in such an aroused state when in the water that full blown panic is just a cough away.

... they are accidents waiting to happen because they are in such an aroused state when in the water that full blown panic is just a cough away.

I think the real watermanship that is necessary is tied to what you describe.

When you are comfortable in the water, you develop certain reflexes that you may not even realize you have. For example, you get a little water in your mouth and you spit it out, barely realizing it happened. If you don't have that reflex, then you might gag.

Once when I was first practicing valve drills in a pool I stupidly shut off both regulators. I thought, "What an idiot!" and turned on the one I was trying to use. I have been in the water enough to know--in my body as well as my mind--that having no air for a while is no big deal, as long as you know what to do about it.

It is the ability to have a relaxed response to minor problems like this that is most valuable.

Without air having just exhaled!

We simulate this in the pool by exhaling to sink, going down 6 feet, leveling out and then finning a distance.

I couldn't agree more with everyone of these replies. As some of you may know, I'm still working on the 400 meter for DM. But I have snorkeled for many years and aced the 300 snorkel/fin swim back in the OW course. Those ideas of underwater tests during rescue are excellent. Maybe a re-vamping of all the swim tests is in order. Perhaps a MUCH longer distance with fins/snorkel, but allowing use of arms--as you may really have to do this. For the DM tired diver tow, maybe lengthening that as well. I do think, however that whatever the PADI or any agency standard is, it really should be the same everywhere, regardless of shop or Instructor.

Honestly I don't care if someone can swim 400 yards in x minutes or leap tall buildings.

I want new divers to be able to safely plan and execute a dive with a buddy, have good buoyancy control, good gas planning, do proper equipment, buddy and weight checks, maintain good buddy distance and be able to reliably perform all the OW skills, including buddy tows, with little anxiety and no problems, and know when to say "no'.

Terry

When I did my OW swim test (in the sea), my instructor asked if I wanted to do a 200m swim or 300m snorkel, I said snorkel, if she would come with me to give me tips on finning. She said thank goodness, as I would then learn something. So that is what we did.

I can ... and do ... require more of my students than NAUI requires. The key is to be up-front with them about it before they sign up for the class. An interview with the instructor is so important for establishing expectations. Sure, you'll lose some students who just want the card. But a lot of people WANT tougher requirements. Especially once they come to realize that local diving isn't easy. The water's cold, requiring a lot of exposure gear and the weight to sink it. Limited vis is a way of life. Puget Sound is a fjord, and can get crazy-deep from easy shore-access points. And currents can be strong and unpredictable. Furthermore, we don't offer dive guides here ... a diver is expected, straight out of OW, to be able to plan and execute their own dive. For these reasons, a lot of local instructors teach to higher standards than their agency minimums.

No instructor worth the name wants to contemplate that a student of theirs died because they were ill-prepared for the dive that did them in ... how you prepare your students to dive has everything to do with the conditions you expect them to be diving in ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wish I'd known enough when I was starting to ask the right questions. I knew from reading the material that I wasn't satisfied with the minimal level of knowledge or skills required by SSI. If I'd only read that joke about the three dive groups (SSI, NAUI, PADI) on a boat about to sink before I signed up for classes - the one where the NAUI instructor tells his group "get geared up and take a bearing, we'll swim the three miles to shore". After having a good laugh, my immediate thought was that NAUI sounded like my kind of people:D

At least now I can tell people who ask me what to look for, or point them to a post or file on how to find a good instructor (or at least an agency that has higher standards than RSTC). Fortunately I now know some of both locally.

Guy

The latest issue of Dive Training Magazine states that the BSA has just introduced Scuba Merit Badge. While they leave the actual Scuba requirements up to the training agency (they currently recognize PADI, NAUI, SSI, IDEA, PDIC and SDI; I hope Jim LaPenta and others who work for other higher standard agencies will write them and get theirs added), the other requirements include:

Completion of the Swimming merit badge [Note: see below] prior to entering into the Scuba training or in-water portion of the requirements.

Boys with a current OW certification will not have to recertify to earn the merit badge. They will, however, have to have completed the Swimming merit badge, present their certification to the merit badge counselor, and complete all other requirements.

Show knowledge of first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while Scuba diving, including hypothermia, hyperventilation, squeezes, decompression illness, nitrogen narcosis, motion sickness, fatigue, overexertion, heat reactions, dehydration, injuries by aquatic life, and cuts and scrapes.

Identify the conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a person, and explain how to recognize such conditions. Demonstrate the proper technique for performing CPR using a training device approved by their counselor.

Explain what an ecosystem is, and describe four aquatic ecosystems a diver might experience.

Find out about three career opportunities in the scuba industry. Pick one and find out the education, training and experience required for the profession.

Here's the current requirements for Swimming merit badge, pasted from a website:
  1. Discuss the prevention and treatment for health concerns that could occur while swimming, including hypothermia, dehydration, sunburn, heat exhaustion, heatstroke, muscle cramps, hyperventilation, spinal injury, stings and bites, and cuts and scrapes.
  2. Do the following:
    1. Identify the conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a person. Explain how to recognize such conditions
    2. Demonstrate proper technique for performing CPR using a training device approved by your counselor.
  3. Before doing the following requirements, successfully complete Second Class rank requirements 7a-7c and First Class rank requirements 9a-9c
    • Second Class rank requirements:
      • (7a) Tell what precautions must be taken for a safe swim.
      • (7b) Demonstrate your ability to jump feetfirst into water over your head in depth, level off and swim 25 feet on the surface, stop, turn sharply, resume swimming, then return to your starting place.
      • (7c) Demonstrate water rescue methods by reaching with your arm or leg, reaching with a suitable object, and by throwing lines and objects. Explain why swimming rescues should not be attempted when a reaching or throwing rescue is possible, and explain why and how a rescue swimmer should avoid contact with the victim.
    • First Class rank requirements:
      • (9a) Tell what precautions should be taken for a safe trip afloat.
      • (9b) Before doing the following requirements, successfully complete the BSA swimmer test.
        Jump feetfirst into water over your head in depth, swim 75 yards in a strong manner using one or more of the following strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke, trudgen, or crawl; then swim 25 yards using an easy, resting backstroke. The 100 yards must be swum continuously and include at least one sharp turn. After completing the swim, rest by floating.
      • (9c) With a helper and a practice victim, show a line rescue both as tender and as rescuer. (The practice victim should be approximately 30 feet from shore in deep water).
  4. Demonstrate survival skills by jumping feetfirst into deep water wearing clothes (shoes, socks, swim trunks, long pants, belt, and long-sleeved shirt). Remove shoes and socks, inflate the shirt, and show that you can float using the shirt for support. Remove and inflate the pants for support. Swim 50 feet using the inflated pants for support, then show how to reinflate the pants while still afloat.
  5. Swim continuously for 150 yards using the following strokes in good form and in a strong manner: front crawl or trudgen for 25 yards, back crawl for 25 yards, sidestroke for 25 yards, breaststroke for 25 yards, and elementary backstroke for 50 yards.
  6. Do the following:
    1. Float faceup in a resting position for at least one minute.
    2. Demonstrate survival floating for at least five minutes.
    3. While wearing a properly fitted personal floatation device (PFD), demonstrate the HELP and huddle positions. Explain their purposes.
    4. Explain why swimming or survival floating will hasten the onset of hypothermia in cold water.
  7. In water over your head, but not to exceed 10 feet, do each of the following:
    1. Use the feetfirst method of surface diving and bring an object up from the bottom.
    2. Do a headfirst surface dive (pike or tuck), and bring the object up again.
    3. Do a headfirst surface dive to a depth of at least 5 feet and swim underwater for three strokes. Come to the surface, take a breath, and repeat the sequence twice.
  8. Do ONE of the following:
    1. Demonstrate snorkeling and scuba diving knowledge:
      1. Demonstrate selection and fit of mask, snorkel, and fins; discuss safety in both pool and open-water snorkeling.
      2. Demonstrate proper use of mask, snorkel, and fins for underwater search and rescue.
      3. Describe the sport of scuba diving or snorkeling, and demonstrate your knowledge of BSA policies and procedures relating to that sport.
      OR
    2. Demonstrate the following competitive swimming skills:
      1. Racing dive from a pool edge or dock edge (no elevated dives from racing platforms or starting blocks)
      2. Racing form for 25 yards on one competitive stroke (front crawl, back crawl, breaststroke, or butterfly)
      3. Racing turns for the stroke that you chose in 8b(2), OR, if the camp facilities cannot accommodate the racing turn, repeat 8b(2) with and additional stroke.
      4. Describe the sport of competitive swimming.
  9. Following the guidelines set in the BSA Safe Swim Defense, in water at least 7 feet deep, show a standing headfirst dive from a dock or pool deck. Show a long shallow dive, also from the dock or pool deck.
  10. Do the following:
    1. Explain the health benefits of regular aerobic exercise, and explain why many people today do not get enough of the beneficial kinds of exercise.
    2. Discuss why swimming is favored as both a fitness and a therapeutic exercise.
    3. Write a plan for a swimming exercise program that will promote aerobic/vascular fitness, strength and muscle tone, body flexibility, and weight control for a person of Scout age. Identify resources and facilities available in your home community that would be needed for such a program.
    4. Discuss with your counselor the incentives and obstacles for staying with the fitness program you created in requirement 10c. Explain the unique benefits that could be gained from this program, and discuss how personal health awareness and self discipline would relate to your own willingness and ability to pursue such a program.
So, we have scouts potentially as young as ten-and-a-half, who are required to meet much higher standards and are far more qualified to be in the water learning scuba than most adults. Something about this seems backwards.

Oh, the same issue of Dive Training mentions that the 4th ed. of Dennis Graver's "Scuba Diving" is now out. Compared to the SSI and PADI OW comic books, the 3rd edition of Graver's book was far more comprehensive and valuable to me. I haven't seen NAUI's OW material so can't compare, but I have seen their AOW and that was pitched at a much higher level than the "pay your money and get a card" agencies I wasted a fair amount of money on.

Guy

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom