Swimming endurance advice & tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that diving is not swimming and speed is not required to meet the minimum requirements but there is a bigger picture to consider. Being comfortable in the water is important to self-confidence, which is important to enjoying diving and reducing the risk of panic.

A broken fin or mask strap is an inconvenience or annoyance to a good swimmer but can be downright scary to a new diver who is very dependent on their gear.
Being comfortable in the water is important.

To add to what others have said, being comfortable in the water is not just about swimming per se but also general physical fitness. Swimming helped with my fitness, which I sometimes think contributed more than anything else to improving my diving.

To add to what others have said, being comfortable in the water is not just about swimming per se but also general physical fitness.

Another thing that is invaluable to people's comfort underwater is increasing breath holding performance. A good part of freediving courses covers these exercises.

I think it is fair to say that drownproofing is the ultimate confidence builder. I'm not suggesting that a recreational diver go to this extreme but there may be some insights here:

I am not a strong swimmer, but Im comfortable in the water. I did a backstroke. The rest of the class finished way before me. But all that doesnt matter - as long as you finish, you're good.

BTW - for the "keep afloat" portion, I mainly just floated on my back, although the instructor was discussing things, so I had to pop up to hear.

Check into a local YMCA for lessons. My wife and I started diving 6 months ago and she started swim lessons to be more comfortable in the water. She did not grow up swimming as a child. I am fortunate that my mother put me in the water about 5 or 6 years old.

I like being fit enough to put a few miles behind me when on land a similarly being able to swim some distance when on the water.

Fitness is always an asset.

Your mileage may vary...

I'm starting diving lessons the 28th and want to increase my swim endurance for the 200m test. I figured I've wanted to be more fit for a while, what better time to start than now? I've been doing combined leg/cardio workouts and found that my cardio endurance is good. Any arm exercises, swim practice advice or breathing exercises you could give? Also when swimming, is there anything I could practice to be more efficient in the water and use my energy better in terms of strokes/breathing? TIA!
When I did my swimming endurance test I actually did it on my back. I did not use the olympic style back stroke. I utilized a frog style kick and used my arms to propel me through the water similar to the breast stroke pushing the water along the side of your body. The key is to allow yourself to glide through the water until you need to execute the next stroke and kick. As far as exercises shoulder and tricep work. Do not let your mind control you, everyone is literally a giant pocket of air.

Check into a local YMCA for lessons. My wife and I started diving 6 months ago and she started swim lessons to be more comfortable in the water. She did not grow up swimming as a child. I am fortunate that my mother put me in the water about 5 or 6 years old.

I like being fit enough to put a few miles behind me when on land a similarly being able to swim some distance when on the water.

Fitness is always an asset.

Your mileage may vary...
I’m going to ask about private ones tonight (regular ones aren’t until next month)

Reread what @JCKahr posted above. I was just about to try saying the same thing but could't explain it as well anyway.

I had to score well on the 400 metre timed swim for the DM course. My technique had seriously waned since HS swim team. I got advice from my competitive swimmer brother, who said you get 75% of your power from arms (well yeah, no fins). And that you should "dig deep" with your arms/hands during the in-water part of the stroke (minimum height when arms out of the water). This helped a lot. Also, he advised using the rubber "stretch" things to strengthen arms, which I sill use today and think it aids me with diving at my age (lifting things, pulling myself along the rocks, etc)..

Back
Top Bottom