swimthroughs and inherent danger thereof

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonk999

Contributor
Reaction score
I was recently in Cozumel for the 2nd time. First time, got taken through a very short swimthrough, and my thoughts after that were "too bad about the environmental damage that these things take after gazillions of divers go through them, kicking up silt."

But after this 2nd trip, now have different thoughts, ones more about safety (but of course, still have the original thought). This is because during this trip, the group was taken through some pretty long and winding passages that might otherwise be called caves, except that they're not. Often, these are relatively narrow passageways, and most definitely overhead environments.

Now, like most divers, I enjoyed these swimthroughs, and they were well within my comfort level, but I do wonder about the potential for something nasty to happen, especially since the vast majority of divers going through are going through:
(a) on single tanks and normal recreational setups
(b) single file, essentially unbuddied and practically diving solo
with some going on limited experience.

If something goes wrong inside one of these passages, it could be deadly. I have reasonable, though not expert by any means, buoyancy control, and was occasionally hitting my tank and on one occasion, my reg hose snagged on something. Not enough to pull it from my mouth, esp as I was going quite slowly, but still a surprise, and for me, even if it had been pulled out, I would not (I like to think) have paniced, but it's certainly a far from theoretical possibility for that to happen. Or something else could happen.

The point is that if something were to happen, it could be quite difficult, if not impossible, for assistence to be rendered by a fellow diver, optimistically presuming the fellow diver actually noticed something was wrong. Certainly, the diver in front would likely not notice, so if you're the last in line, it could be sayonora. Meanwhile, the DM is hanging out at the exit of the thing, expecting everyone to come out.

I'm curious if any incidents have happened in these types of swimthroughs. My lessons learned were that one needs to realize the inherent risk in doing these things is substantial compared to simply drifting around a reef/wall, and that when I do these things, I shouldn't be the last one through, and ideally, the person in front and following should be set up with a long hose.

-Simon

I've done quite a lot of swimthroughs and the one thing that really irritates me is that quite often in tourist ares, when my wife and I are diving as part of a group, we seem to be the only ones operating as a buddy pair.
A few times I would let my wife go into an opening with the intention of following close behind her - contact distance, when some idiot would force in behind her and separate us.
I tolerated this a couple of times but nowadays I don't and I will (and have) use whatever force is necessary for us to stay together in confined spaces.
Needless to say this has lead to some strained situations when getting back on the boat. It's amazing how many experienced divers have no idea that they should be paired with a buddy even when group diving.

I was in a swimthrough traffic jam once in Grand Cayman on Trinity Caves. We were 70 or 80 feet down. The dive master takes our group of 12 divers through the last swim-through which exits up in a chimney. It's like a small cave that exits up a chimney of corral. It's tight enough where you have to get almost down on your stomach to keep your tank from hitting the roof of the swimthrough. More like a crawl-through. For some reason the movement stopped and I was just resting in the sand when I noticed the air gage of the diver in front of me. 170 left. Did I mention we were at 70 feet in diver traffic jam in a swimthrough? He was a brand-new diver and sucking his oxygen down like crazy. I sitll had over a thousand left.

I was cursing to myself. The last place I wanted to try and buddy breathe was in a narrow cave that opened vertically. I made preparations to give him my octopus. As luck would have it, the line started moving again and we made it out without having to buddy breathe. I motioned for him to surface immediately and stayed with him until we broke the surface. He didn't bleed his tank completely dry but he almost did.

Well I'm glad you were ok, but IMO, swimthroughs without any overhead environment training is a bad idea.

Thanks for sharing.

SF

jerrycsr:
For some reason the movement stopped and I was just resting in the sand when I noticed the air gage of the diver in front of me. 170 left. Did I mention we were at 70 feet in diver traffic jam in a swimthrough? He was a brand-new diver and sucking his oxygen down like crazy. I sitll had over a thousand left.
That's it. I am absolutely bringing my long hose to Coz. :eyebrow:

Coz Swim thus...

No, it ain't the best thing in the world....Coz DM's (if they really are) taking divers of diverse skill level through overhead inviornments. Same for the cenotes on the mainland. I've seen OW divers going thru Devil's Throat (bad idea). Best to really know who you are diving withup front 'cause it ain't gonna change anytime soon.

Regards,

This is why the shortest hose i dive with is 5'. I have seen resort divers (in jamaica) go through 100' long swim thru's with no idea of the danger. On that occasion the divemaster waited at the end while my buddy and I had to clear the tunnel, actually dragging divers by the tank valves to get them out. (some stuck to the cieling, some crawling) This was at 80'. Now that i have some cave training it really makes me wonder how they all make it out!!!

My first real swim through was a pipe at a quarry about 20 feet long. Not a long one but long enough. This may not seem like a big deal to some but 1) it was at night, 2) it was part of an underwater haunted house and 3) there was a guy that was laying on top of the pipe in pitch black waiting. One of the shop owners that was sponsering the haunted quarry was my partner and I came through but the vis got stirred up and I kept finger crawling through because I had seen the pipe during the day and knew how long it was. The bad part was the guy on top of the pipe grabbed the back of my tank and I'm kicking my butt off trying to get through the last foot of pipe. Luckily the vis cleared and I saw my partner smiling a big one and realized something was up and at that time I flipped around to see the guy ducking off the side of the pipe out of my light range. Luckily I didn't have to pee at that moment lol...and then I trusted the guy who was laying on top of the pipe to teach my ice diving class :D

Back
Top Bottom