Swivel connectors...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a swivel and a longer hose to run the hose under my shoulder. Liked it, but I did have the swivel fail. The swivel I had has a screw holding the two halvs together. The screw got loose and when I turned on my tank, the "O" ring blew out. My buddy turned off the air and we put the "O" ring back inplace and tightened the screw. Now as a pre dive check, I always make sure the screw is tight, and haven't had any problems since. It is a potential failure point that has to be mamaged.

Unfortunately, there are good and bad stories to go with every piece of equipment. Something importantis mention to your LDS and service tech to service this piece. I opened one once that had not likely ever ben serviced.
However I think that like anything else, if it is properly serviced, it can be beneficial in reducing your profile and taking away that tug you may feel when turning your head.

I've been diving a swivel on my reg Sherwood Maximus, circa 1996, and never had a problem. Neither has my mom, and her's is an Oasis, circa 1995. Failure points or not. Neither have failed in ten or so years.

Everything can be considered a failure point in a foreign environment. Swivels work and if you like the way they work, use them.

Cave Diver hit the nail on the head:

Why buy a swivel to ease the "tug" when you can buy a proper length hose, route it efficiently, and achieve the same result?

Got a swivel. Like it. Many of my buddies also have them. Haven't seen a failure. Use them if you like them, or change hoses if that's what you want. It's all personal preference. IMO they are quite reliable. I have, although, seen a conventional fitting leak, so you can factor that in as well.

Picked up an Atomic B2 last fall and dove it pretty hard since then. I was not a fan of swivels when I got the B2, had a poor experience with them in the past, so I was surprised with this one..they certainly got it right!

Try before you buy.

All the best, James

I use a Scuba Pro swivel with a longer hose run under my arm... Been diving it for years all over the hemisphere Ice to tropical, it's comfortable and trouble free.

How much did you pay for SP swivel? Did you install it by yourself?

Sean326:
I use a Scuba Pro swivel with a longer hose run under my arm... Been diving it for years all over the hemisphere Ice to tropical, it's comfortable and trouble free.

If you are routing from under your arm, consider a 90° elbow instead of a continuous 360° swivel. Both Zeagle and Kirby Morgan make 90° elbows. The Zeagle swivel elbow goes for about $30, the one Kirby Morgan makes (actually a part for their EXO commercial full face mask but will work for any standard regulator fitting) retails for maybe twice what the Zeagle runs.

DrSteve:
Those swivel joints on the second stage...

I've been considering one of those swivel joints that the new Aqualung regs have (since I just bought my wife a Legend Supreme). At first my LDS said they would sell me one if I wanted but it was not recommended. After some more talking, they said that they simply were not a good thing and strongly advised me not to buy as they have a habit of failing. I do trust them so I am going to just upgrade my hose.

But I am worried about my wife's new Legend and Legend ABS octo both of which have a swivel on the second stage...Any thoughts or experiences?

The BEST 360 swivel on the market is made by MJ engineering.. They are distributed through Oxycheq.. He IS the patent holder for a 360 swivel.. Several companies offer cheap knockoffs including trident (most people sell this version) ... None of them have the quality of the original..

These swivels are not cheap, but they work flawlessly and last..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom