Taking AOW immediately after taking OW course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I asked my instructor the same question. And his answer was that I really should dive a bit more before I take AOW. There are not a lot of new stuff (except navigation & night diving). It is more like a perfection of the skills you learn at OW.

asp9208:
I just want to get your opinions on taking the AOW course immediately (i.e. within a few days or weeks) after taking the OW course. I have heard varying opinions on the subject. I have been told by some not to take the AOW until a while down the road once you have become more experianced. On the other hand I have been told by others to take it immediately because it teaches you some extremely usefull skills such as navigation and what to do should you, accidentaly or purposefuly, go past your 60' OW training limit. Anyway I just thought I'de post this to see what some of you think of the subject and I apologize if this question has already been asked.

I got my AOW on the heels of my initial certification, and I'm very pleased that I did. I know I wouldn't feel nearly as comfortable, and wouldn't have been nearly as good a buddy if I hadn't, and I would have been able to participate as fully on a recent trip to the Keys, all within a month of my first time in the water (5/20).

I think you might regret waiting, but you won't regret going for it.

Enjoy.

I only have 24 dives under my belt. I was struggling with bouancy initially, and got exceedingly more comfortable in my AOW Peak Performance Bouancy class.

My recommendation is no need to wait. AOW is an extension of your basic open water skills and it provides you at the minimum 5 more dive under the supervision of an instructor, while adding to your diving skill base most noteably your navigation skills and a supervised deep dive.

Old school was to wait till you had 10 or more dives but as an instructor I don't see that as valid anymore.

I routinely schedule an AOW course the weekend following a Basic OW course becuase most of my basic student have gotten the scuba bug by the time we are done with dive 4 on cert weekend and want more time in the water right away.

Back
Top Bottom