Talk to me about the Conshelf XIV Supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheShark1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I started a thread last week that led to a lot of recommendations for the Conshelf XIV Supreme. I was intrigued to learn more about the reg, and I thought that a discussion of the reg might merit its own thread (the other had gotten long already, anyways).

To recap, in case you missed the original thread. I'm leaving in a year or two to become a full-time dive instructor in a tropical climate. I'm currently a dive shop employee, and I can get dealer prices on almost any scuba gear from any scuba company before I leave. Therefore, I want to make sure I've got the absolute best gear before I leave.

5-6 dives/day, 5-6 days/wk (almost 2,000 dives/yr).. Mostly shallow, warm-water dives.. Ocean Salt-water.. Chlorine Pool-water.

I want something that.. 1) That's going to be great for me for 10+ yrs.. 2) That isn't going to break down with regular maintenance.. 3) That isn't going to corrode.. 4) That I'm going to be able to learn to service myself.. 5) That I'm always going to be able to get parts for.. 6) That parts are going to be relatively cheap for. (*I'm probably going to need to rebuild it at least 3-4 times/yr using it so much, right?). And 7) I prefer a sealed/dry 1st stage regulator.. I don't like the idea of salt/chlorine water or contaminants getting into my 1st stage.

The Conshelf XIV Supreme seemed to be the most recommended thread I got in the original thread.. and I've done some research on it.

*THE MAIN QUESTION* I have for the experienced diver-posters here is..

What is it, exactly, that makes the Conshelf XIV Supreme a superior choice to the newer, more expensive, and more mainstream options.. such as..

The Apeks XTX.. The Aqualung Legend.. The Scubapro MK17.. or The Atomic T-3 as an all-titanium option (a piston 1st stage, but one that atomics claims is sealed/dry)

Thank you very much in advance for any thoughts, opinions, suggestions or recommendations!!

The Conshelf XIV/14 is simple and rugged. The second stage is chromed brass, the regulator is all metal. The second stage is a standard, easily adjusted downstream design and the only part that will really need replacing at overhaul is the LP seat which is sold everywhere and is a universal part that can even be made from sheet rubber with a punch.

The first stage is a diaphragm type that is virtually identical to all current AL first stages and uses the same internal parts. In fact, it really is the same first as the Titan LX though the last iteration it was repackaged in an L shape rather than straight. The Legend also uses the same seat and diaphragm.

But, really, as I said earlier, the regulator that most closely meets your needs is the current AL Core which is just a renamed Titan. Get the Supreme versions, though frankly, save for cold water, the standard version is fine if not perfect since it is yet simpler to rebuild.

All of this is why the guy who told you they cannot be rebuilt needs to find another job because he is hardly a mechanic.

But, again, just get yourself a simple, rugged, name brand regulator and be happy.

N

Last edited:
All metal,Simple, reliable, rugged, easy to get parts for and easy to service.

The earlier XIV second stage has no side port, the later versions do which makes tuning even easier.

The first stage has various port configurations, 3LP/1HP and 4LP/1HP. The latest has 4x3/8 LP ports and 1x7/16HP port, standard sizes. Early versions had all 3/8 ports, 3xLP and 1xHP, some also had a 1/2 LP port. Earlier Supremes had liquid filed environmental chambers the latest has a dry cap.

All has been said in your other thread.

I thought you'd decided on the MK17/A700.

Last edited:
Sure. But, like. What exactly makes the Conshelf or the Core better than the Legend/MK17/XTX/T-3. What is it exactly that is bad or worse about those regs?

The hard chrome plating. A lot aqualung regs are decedents of the CSXIV. (that's why I dive them).

A couple of comments
ALL regulators will corrode if you do not take care of them. Proper rinsing and drying are a must if you do not want your reg to corrode. Even the plastic ones have metal parts in them that will corrode if you do not properly rinse and dry them. There is no such thing as a reg you can just use but not care for..
Unless you abuse your reg (see above) I would bet a Conshelf will easily go 2 or 3 years in the service you suggest without a rebuild. Regs are rebuilt way way too much these days. Neglect and improper care are the reason most regs need servicing, not use.
Frankly, if I were you, I would find a first generation Titan and add some used metal Conshelf second stages to it. The Titan is identical internally to the Conshelf so mechanically it's the same (uses the exact same parts kit). The older metal conshelf second stages are simply more robust than anything plastic.

Sure. But, like. What exactly makes the Conshelf or the Core better than the Legend/MK17/XTX/T-3. What is it exactly that is bad or worse about those regs?

I don't mean to be rude but this is a repeat of your other thread. It's all been gone over before. There is no best, all will perform more than adequately, horses for courses, its largely down to personal preference and what is important to you, what you value in a reg.

I'm not an expert by any means regarding anything in scuba. I can share my experience with the Conshelf, though. I have a Conshelf 22 from 1996. I dove it 12 times in '96, then literally hung it up. I picked up scuba again this summer, and, after servicing it, put 16 dives on it. I had it down to 109 feet in '96 and thought it breathed fine. It worked fine for me this summer also, though the deepest I went was 65 feet. As a lot of other people have said, the Conshelf line was made for a long time. The Conshelf xiv was an option to the general consumer in '96, when I bought my regulator. The Conshelf 22 version of the first stage had 3 3/8" lp ports and a 7/16" hp port. I am pretty sure that the xiv 1st stage had the same configuration. Conshelfs are well known for there durability and ease of service. The Conshelf supreme is authorized for military use in cold water to 38F. http://www.navsea.navy.mil/Portals/...ving/11-01-2016.pdf?ver=2016-11-01-082634-967

Here is the gripe with the plastic Conshelf that I have: dry mouth. This is not Conshelf specific. It is just a plastic regulator issue. One option for me is to buy a Conshelf xiv 2nd stage. It seems as if you have to military or commercial to buy one new. I don't know if anyone here has any experience trying to but one from the defense suppliers. One other option is a used Conshelf xiv on ebay.

Some will tell you there are better breathing 2nd stages out there. There probably are. One suggestion I have seen on Scubaboard is to pair a Conshelf 1st stage with a Legend 2nd. I think this makes a Titan LX. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. This wouldn't fix my dry mouth problem, but it might be an option for you. The Legend 1st is only about $111 at diveinn. I don't know anything about the company, though. Maybe others can chime in. Online dive shop, buy online diving, snorkeling & swimming equipment

As far as the Conshelf not being serviceable, that is utter nonsense. I had mine serviced by an Aqualung dealer this June. I know at least two local shops that can do it. If I can get a Conshelf 22 serviced, then you can get a Conshelf xiv serviced. I called AirTech in Raleigh, who can service most anything. They can service anything on a 22, except replace the plastic housing. I suggest you give them a call, if you are worried about the serviceability of the Conshelf xiv. AirTech | Raleigh, NC

What the people on this board are telling you is true.

My 12 year old daughter dives an Agua-Lung Titan LX which, as @Nemrod and @herman said, is basically the conshelf14 in a new package. She dives that because it's been around a long time, is reliable and one of the few regs you won't find anything but positive reviews of. I put her on those because I wanted something reliable with a great reputation, they're a proven design and an awesome reg set.

I think you just have to get over the idea of the "best" and dive what you like. As I mentioned before, the set-up you have is great. Dive it! My daughter uses The Titan LX, I use Deep Six regs...are the the "best"? They are to me and that's all that really counts.

I don't mean to be rude but this is a repeat of your other thread. It's all been gone over before. There is no best, all will perform more than adequately, horses for courses, its largely down to personal preference and what is important to you, what you value in a reg.

Yet, the trout keep rising.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom