Tampa Bay area Divers, Part 2.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just out of quriosity, whats the ballpark figure on renting a trailer ??

I rented a triple axle, 10,000 lb. capacity and if memory serves me right was about $350 for the week, taxes included. That was the best price I could find.

There are also tanks west of hernando beach channel. its just about due west , 2nd marked reef on the chart. Bendickson Reef 28*31.761N - 082*58.362W 10 tanks PLENTY of tie up boueys at the location. There is a reef ball reef very close to it also.

I have a number on a LOST B-29 wing ,,, ( assumed to be covered over or destroyed and carried away by a hurricane. Have not returned to this site in over a year so it may be uncovered again. Also a few other numbers id be willing to share if you guys are going to be diving as a group often. Im just too lazy to dig out my binder O numbers and look thru it right now =P

Sounds good badlatitude. Keep checking this post for upcoming trips, we go out almost every weekend.

What are you people doing? Twiddling thumbs? I need pics from today, pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase! Want to see that Goliath, big time!

I described todays ride out as riding on sheets of silk it was so placid :D

Saturday April 22. Tried to get out to Veterans reef. Seas were just a little too much for the boat and we turned around about 2 miles out and called the dive. Thank god for backup plans. Went up to the Hudson Grotto and dove there. Me, my boys, Missdirected, RVAgrad77, and his wife made up the crew that day. Hudson Grotto turned out to be ok, decent visibility. Got to see the Budda, the hand, and the Satillite dish at 35 feet. Someone however, has removed the line @ 35 feet that used to go completely around the grotto. The dive made for a nice easy dive that my son and I used to familiarize ourselfs with our new Suunto dive computers, A Vyper, and a Gekko.

Sunday April 23. Myself, my 2 sons, Missdirected, Eandiver, and Mike_AUE went out to the RJ Thompson. I've been looking for information on this wreck for 4 months now. Mike_AUE was good enough to come up with some "good" numbers, which shouldn't be surprising since he Authored the book "Shipwrecks of the sunshine state" (see picture of book below). His official trip report is on his website here http://uwex.us/042306.htm

Seas were occassionally 2 feet going out with a slight west wind. Vis at the site was almost top to bottom. Max depth of the site was 67 feet. The wreck (regardless of what "they" say) is NOT a USCG bouy tender. It looks like a boat that was converted to a barge before being sunk. The hull is in one peice with numerous holes and breaks. The deck was mostly missing the decking, but this gave a great view of the inside of the wreck. There is some structure with doorways at the bow of the wreck that looks like the wheelhouse sat on top of it. However, there is no wheel house presently. Horizontal vis was probably 50+. Loads of bait fish. Eandiver will have to help me out with the other fish on the wreck as I don't know what they were. If lead was valuable we would all be rich as there was in my estimation, over 10 pounds of the stuff all over the wreck, from divers lead to fishing lead.

One funny note. I did not know fish fly:huh: , but apparently they do. My son pointed them out to me as we were heading out. I looked over thinking he was making it up and actually saw these little suckers pop up out of the water and zing along about a foot above the water for 50 or so feet, then dive back in. Who knew ?? Then there was the poor tired bird that dropped in to say hello, but i'll let someone else tell that story.

Guys, did I miss anything.

It was a kick azz day. The water was like riding on silk on the way out, placid is the word I should use actually. It was a 26 mile trip out. On the way back there were just a few ripples - couldn't have asked for anything better. Viz 50 ft. Barge sunk approximately 20-30 years ago. Creature features; Goliath Grouper, barracudas, king fish, bonito, mackerel, bennys, spade fish, cocoa damsels juvenile, that is all I can remember right now! :14:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom