tank pressure redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limeyx:
So the analog SPG works just fine for you, so why add anything else since you dont need it, right?
I started off renting consoles. When I first purchased my own gear, I went directly to wireless AI. I added the SPG back in June when I converted to a long hose rig with an eye toward DIR.

Had I started with the SPG, I may never have bought the Wireless AI. But since I already have it, it's silly not to use it.

CompuDude:
I started off renting consoles. When I first purchased my own gear, I went directly to wireless AI. I added the SPG back in June when I converted to a long hose rig with an eye toward DIR.

Had I started with the SPG, I may never have bought the Wireless AI. But since I already have it, it's silly not to use it.

I dont agree. I think, especially if you plan on doing more aggressive diving (Triox/tech/wreck etc.), but even for recreational diving, it's just not needed.

Get used to using brain/SPG to monitor where you are in the dive, and there is no need whatsoever for any kind of AI

Never said it was NEEDED or necessary (well, not since I have an analog SPG, at least). And I am in the process of using my brain to monitor, etc. and already know my consumption pretty well. That said, I'm not about to start taking bits on and off of my gear just because others find them unnecessary. :)

There is the handy bonus of automatic info entry into my logbook. That's worth carrying the extra 5 ounces into the water, for me. I can review consumption rates at any point in the dive, against a graph of time and depth. Again, these aren't 100% essential, but they are valuable tools to have available for later review.

It IS possible to ignore the little PSI number in the corner of my screen, should I so choose.

For me, the benefits outweigh the negatives. (What negatives?)

To date I have done all of my diving with an SPG, depth gauge, and a non AI computer. My next dive will be with a wireless AI wrist mounted computer, an SPG backup, and a backup non AI computer. Why did I choose this route? I do not fully, nor will I ever, trust computers. I work with far too many computers and see them fail all the time (non dive computers). So because I don't fully trust computers but do enjoy the additional bottom time they provide I have decided to have a fully redundant computer. I don't want to be down 100' in some tropical dive destination and discover my computer has died forcing me back to tables. That would just plain stink.

Now you are probably asking why I chose a wireless AI computer? The answer is simply because I can. I love gadgets and that is exactly what it is to me. Do I expect to get any real benefit out of it, nope. What's more I don't care. I bought it because it is neat to have all the information on one screen right in front of me. Some argue about having a transmitter is an additional failure point. Well I still have my SPG and if my wireless AI goes out I have absolutely no intention of aborting the dive. The additional risk of leaking air out that HP port the transmitter is connected to, well I'm willing to live with that insignificant risk.

TxHockeyGuy:
So because I don't fully trust computers but do enjoy the additional bottom time they provide I have decided to have a fully redundant computer. I don't want to be down 100' in some tropical dive destination and discover my computer has died forcing me back to tables. That would just plain stink.

If your computer provides you with substantially more bottom time, you would do well to learn a bit more about decompression theory and how to track your profiles better.

CompuDude:
Never said it was NEEDED or necessary (well, not since I have an analog SPG, at least). And I am in the process of using my brain to monitor, etc. and already know my consumption pretty well. That said, I'm not about to start taking bits on and off of my gear just because others find them unnecessary. :)

There is the handy bonus of automatic info entry into my logbook. That's worth carrying the extra 5 ounces into the water, for me. I can review consumption rates at any point in the dive, against a graph of time and depth. Again, these aren't 100% essential, but they are valuable tools to have available for later review.

It IS possible to ignore the little PSI number in the corner of my screen, should I so choose.

For me, the benefits outweigh the negatives. (What negatives?)

Obviously you know better then.

limeyx:
Obviously you know better then.
Not necessarily, but are you claiming you do? You seem to be.

There is room on this board for lots of opinions. Yours one, mine is another. I value the opinions of others but don't always let them rule my life. Not even twins make ALL the same decisions given the same input.

CompuDude:
Not necessarily, but are you claiming you do? You seem to be.

There is room on this board for lots of opinions. Yours one, mine is another. I value the opinions of others but don't always let them rule my life. Not even twins make ALL the same decisions given the same input.

#1 you dont need it, so why bring it?
#2 I think you will be better off if you know you have to use the SPG. Right now, you have a crutch. Easy to say "I know what my SPG should say" if you have another device along for the ride.
#3 I think it is less reliable than the SPG
#4 more failure points (I think)
#5 no extra information -- which gauge do you believe if they are different?

I dont really see any need to bring an AI along, and if you don't need it then don't bring it.

limeyx:
#1 you dont need it, so why bring it?
A very valid DIR viewpoint, but there is an equally valid difference between need and want. Plus, NEED or not, there are valid and useful reasons for having it along, such as the extra gas usage analysis and logbook functions. I suspect a large number, if not most, DIR divers bring at least one thing that they don't necessarily 100% need to survive but still very much WANT because they feel it enhances their dive experience. I sure don't NEED my camera either, and it's certainly a distraction from tracking my every breath, but you'll seldom find me in the water without it, because I WANT it.

limeyx:
#2 I think you will be better off if you know you have to use the SPG. Right now, you have a crutch. Easy to say "I know what my SPG should say" if you have another device along for the ride.
I can make a conscious effort to avoid looking at the SPG readout on the screen anytime I want, and look at the SPG itself instead. You may think I am "better off" but I feel I would not be "better", but rather in essentially the same situation (looking at my SPG to verify available gas), plus the added bonus of extra logging, etc. I feel the benefits outweigh what I perceive to be little to no disadvantage.

limeyx:
#3 I think it is less reliable than the SPG
I agree, but it is a fact that is 100% negated by the fact that I have an SPG. It can fail at anytime with ZERO impact on my dive.

limeyx:
#4 more failure points (I think)
Eh. Risk to reward ratios. FAR more likely to have a diver error cause me to have problems than the transmitter on my 1st stage fail in such a spectacular manner as to cause me problems. The point at which a 2" stub sticking out my first stage is life threatening is probably around the same point my wife pulls the plug on my diving. :wink:

limeyx:
#5 no extra information -- which gauge do you believe if they are different?
Probably the SPG, but I have this thing between my ears that lets me make an informed decision, and scrub the dive if need be. I can live with that risk. I'll take those odds.

limeyx:
I dont really see any need to bring an AI along, and if you don't need it then don't bring it.
True (back to your first point), but only to a point. I see a REASON to bring it along. And there is a difference between having needs and having valid reasons, as discussed above.

Beyond that, I think we'll simply have to agree to differ. I'm not asking you to stick a transmitter on your first stage, merely to respect my wish to have one on mine. And should you feel that my diving with a 2" transmitter sticking out of my 1st stage causes such a significant risk to the team that you don't want me diving with you, I guess I'll lose out. Or find another buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom