tank pressure redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
Beyond that, I think we'll simply have to agree to differ. I'm not asking you to stick a transmitter on your first stage, merely to respect my wish to have one on mine. And should you feel that my diving with a 2" transmitter sticking out of my 1st stage causes such a significant risk to the team that you don't want me diving with you, I guess I'll lose out. Or find another buddy.

Agree to differ we will I guess. I will be interested to see what happens as you progress further down the DIR path.

Wanting to record/log dives is not a "bad thing" -- I just use a computer in gauge mode.

I would not do a tech dive with someone that had one of these attached.

For a one-off recreational dive, sure, but I would not have a regular dive buddy that used one (or a computer either for that matter)

nvert:
In 10 years this debate on wireless or AI vs analogue will be mute. Just watch.

I very much doubt the debate will become silent (mute) nor do I believe it will become purely academic (moot) just like I don't believe CCRs are the wave of the future. Just watch...

The old saying is "Plan your dive and dive your plan". Would not one of the newer more sophisicated computers that actually record the whole dive be beneficial in seeing that you actually dived the plan?

ams511:
The old saying is "Plan your dive and dive your plan". Would not one of the newer more sophisicated computers that actually record the whole dive be beneficial in seeing that you actually dived the plan?

Depends on what you call "the plan" I guess -- do you really plan your dive down to the exact amount of PSI you will use every 30 seconds ?

Generally, I'm going to plan max time, depth, average depth, rock bottom, ascent profile (min deco or mandatory deco), turn pressure, gas rul (all, 1/2, 1/3, 1/6 etc.)

I think it can be good to see your depth over time, and that's why I wear a computer in gauge mode that tracks the dive.

I then usually measure my SAC (cft/min) by averaging out my depth, and using start/end PSI.

Generally I restrict the SAC calculation to the "bottom" time of the dive and exclude the ascent (since I breathe less when ascending usually). So I just measure psi on the bottom and when we start to ascend.

Also, tracking PSI over time and SAC is harder for a computer to do when you start doing staged diving or staged deco -- are you really going to take transmitters for every stage and deco bottle ?

I also (think) I saw an "AI" this weekend attached to a 1st stage. Didn't play with it (not my gear to touch) but it did look like one good whack and it could break off...

ams511:

Do you need a computer to tell you if you are diving your plan?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom