Tank Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, am I really that afraid of those tanks, or am I making an excuse to get some steels?

And maybe a small aluminum for shore diving. Like a 60

I'm thinking 2 steels and a pony. Which of course will eventually be doubled!

Now to just figure out sizes, and configurations. I gotta post a big old list of tank questions later!

grunz- I removed the nitrox sticker from my tank and havent had any problems filling the tank. As long as the inspection sticker identifies it as a nitrox tank then you are ok at most places.

I recently heard that in europe tanks used for nitrox are ONLY to be used for nitrox with special valve requiring designated regs. The laws regarding this were recently passed in order for nitrox equipment to be solely for nitrox use. The US is usually about 3 years behind in terms of this kind of safety regulations so I think we can expect this to come into effect in a few. (just thought I'd put that out there).

divinglife:
I recently heard that in europe tanks used for nitrox are ONLY to be used for nitrox with special valve requiring designated regs. The laws regarding this were recently passed in order for nitrox equipment to be solely for nitrox use. The US is usually about 3 years behind in terms of this kind of safety regulations so I think we can expect this to come into effect in a few. (just thought I'd put that out there).

I have heard this rumor as well and that it may not be that far off.

Personally I hope it does come to this. I think it would be overkill, just label the tanks and everyone know that they better know what is in the tank before they dive with it.

They're talking about requiring REVERSED threads on the valves (that is, the TANK would be male, the REG female) for those DIN valves.

This would be unqualified DISASTER. Having male threads on the tanks will cause them to get damaged frequently - and expensively. This is NOT a good thing and if it comes here you can bet your last nickel there will be a lot of people (myself included) who will not comply.

Yet another reason to own your own compressor!

MEK works very well and very fast and dries almost instantly. No sticky or slick stuff after the glue is removed. Will melt most plastics on contact. Use a rag (no dyes please) Paper will crumble instantly.

MEK requires outside ventilation. It is very toxic to breathe. It will also take off just about anything else except for the original paint job.

I use a hair dry to peel off damaged stickers. Just enough heat to loosen the glue. As for even having the stickers, I get fills of Nitrox (even at DS) without them. Once a year I have to put the Green placards on because the Florida shops are way to particular (with the exception of Diver City)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom