Taptalk is broken

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your calling it responsive again. According to Responsive web design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that implies adapting to the screen size to reduce panning and scrolling.

I can tell you for free (normally I charge) that I have to pan and scroll a lot more with this site than with tapatalk.

<----- over here there is two or three inches of white space, I paid apple a lot of money for those pixels, and here you lot go wasting them. They could contain a list of more interesting threads or just make it easier to read this one. But no. We need 'responsive'.

Frankly it is not very nice to use on an iPad.

I have been being paid money to make things work with computers for a very long time. To me this is like seeing people walk on a reef. I know you are like the people with **** trim, you know no better.

Once upon a time people did stuff like forums and web sites for a bit of fun. Now of course the biggest companies in the world are build by taking people's 'content' repackaging it and using it to sell eyeballs to advertises so every one wants a piece. Sad really.

Yep, there's a giant section of whitespace on the left, and another large (but smaller) one on the right. It would be nice if the site scaled to screen sizes a little better.

It's because of poorly designed CSS code that is being used by the site.

For example:
Code:
@media(min-width: 768px) and (max-width: 1200px) {
.dynamic-ad {
    width: 728px;
    height: 90px;
    margin-left:auto;
    margin-right: auto;
    }
}
@media(max-width: 767px) and (min-width: 480px) {
    .dynamic-ad {
    width: 468px;
    height: 60px;
    margin-left:auto;
    }
}
@media (max-width: 468px){
.dynamic-ad {
width: 320px;
height: auto;
margin-left: auto;
    }
}

There are lots of explicitly defined elements in pixels. It is the exact opposite of what you want, a scalable site must use percentages in order to scale to mulitple sized (or aspected) displays.

Last edited:
Select SB Retro and the annoying white goes away.

Believe me, as a Moderator I've had plenty of things to beef at Pete about with the new platform. Viewing on my iPad mini or iPhone is definitely not among those beefs. I disliked Tapatalk. I have no issues now.

True that it's no longer white, but it's still "whitespace".. or empty blue space to be more specific. You guys could edit the CSS and use percentages in order to fix it.

On my iPhone, SB goes from screen edge to screen edge, no "whitespace".

image.png

Looks good to me too...

It fits perfectly on my iPad Air 2. There is zero panning to be done. As a former fan of Tapatalk, I have to say I prefer the new method.

Edited to add, this is Chrome in both cases.

image.png

Last edited:
Goes edge to edge on both my iPhone and iPad in Safari. Not sure how your set up but it seems a lot of us are not having the same problem. Feel free to post your settings and we'll be happy to try and help you work through the issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom