Target Regulators for Warm Water Newbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djpeteski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
The wife and I live in Florida, and while we might dive the Springs, 72 degrees, we won't go any colder.

The amount of regulators and price points are simply overwhelming. Where does one start? What reg set do I buy?

For the record we might do the advance cert, probably do nitrox, but not much beyond that.

Kind of like a "who makes the best truck?" question. There are a lot of good options and many people have specific brand preferences.

A couple things I would consider first. Where do you plan to dive? Where will you get your regs serviced? This might play a role, if your favorite dive shop services brand X, ..but not Brand Y..

Then, whether you care about getting a brand profile from a company that is known by all, such as ScubaPro, or Aqualung etc.

Most newer regs available will function well and get the job done for your needs..

You will probably pay a premium for brands like ScubaPro, Apex, Aqualung etc.

If you are a thrifty shopper, you might consider one of several other options out there like Dive Rite, HOG, Hollis, or Deep6. Dive Rite (for example) is based in Florida, and has great reputation in this area. Just my opinion, but I think these are all top shelf options that will serve you well. They are just newer players to the market and might not have the same brand rep as someone like Aqualung, that has been making regs since the stone age. The only reason I might steer you away from these is if you have a favorite shop that will not service them.

Myself... I have several sets of Poseidon and HOG regs. But think any of the above brands will serve you well.

As far as type... I think that a balanced diaphragm that is environmentally sealed is the best for most people. Make sure you get a 2nd stage that is also balanced and adjustable. And.. has a matching safe 2nd (aka octopus) that will match the performance of your primary. (I really don't like the 'Air2' configuration).

what he said. I see no reason to pay for the premium brands personally and the Dive Rite regulators are a very good buy and supporting somewhat local business since they're based in lake city.

I had to buy 4 sets when we all got certified. I went with the HOG/Edge sets and have been very happy with them. Incredible customer service and you can take the course and service them yourself. Dive Right In Scuba also give s 10% "loyalty points" on your next purchase so we basically got a free lavacore for my wife as well.

Good luck,
Jay

If most of your diving will be Florida, diving; I'd go with the Dive Right or Hog / Edge and support the local economy. However if you plan on lots of warm water diving outside the USA, I'd look more toward ScubaPro, Mares and Aqualung due to their worldwide distribution and service. I 'd go for an intermediate rather than high end unit from any manufacturer, for warm water recreational depth diving, you'd be wasting your money on some of the high end features.

The wife and I live in Florida, and while we might dive the Springs, 72 degrees, we won't go any colder.

The amount of regulators and price points are simply overwhelming. Where does one start? What reg set do I buy?

For the record we might do the advance cert, probably do nitrox, but not much beyond that.

It is overwhelming, but the good news is that basically anything on the market will work absolutely fine. There are many threads about this if you want to invest a little time. Servicing the regulator is a concern; you need to find a good service technician, and avoid the annual service/ "free" parts deals. Unless you are diving over 100 times/year, you likely don't need annual service.

Buying used regulators can be a big money saver; they haven't really improved in decades, so older models are just as good. You need someone trustworthy to advise you, but that's true with buying new regs as well.

If you stay in warm water and not behond 130 feet, take a mid range regulator. I have aqualung Titan. . Their quality is great. Do not buy the low level - Calypso in Aqualung.. You want to have compensated first stage at the minimum.

Last edited:

As others have pointed out upthread, in new regulators, anything will serve your needs. Let price and service considerations be your guide.

My strategy is to buy used Aqua-Lung Conshelf regulators, service them, and replace the hoses, SPG, and mouthpieces. It ends up costing me about $200 a set plus the purchase cost of the used items that I start with, which is usually another $100. So $300 per set for me. I do my own servicing -- you'd probably spend a little more if you paid a shop to do it. These are perfectly good regulators and have good availability used and good long-term parts availability, but you could do the same thing with several other brands.

Several folks have mentioned the option of self service. I am all for this, but caution that most new divers should not take this on.
If you do happen to be very mechanically competent and want to do this... there are a few things to consider..
a) Task loading: ..Added stress of testing, tuning and trouble shooting your own gear is critical
b) Do you have a good source for parts
c) Do you have the required tools? Some regs require special tools.
d) Do you have access to a good place to test out your gear? ie: a pool or nearby spring/lake/beach

I have chosen to narrow my reg pool down to two brands. So to anyone thinking of going this route, I suggest you really thing through the brand and model you choose to go with.

For me its:
1) Poseidon, because of proven high quality, it's what I owned and dove historically and have access to parts and easy to find on the used market.

2) HOG, because they are good performers with a decent track record. And are willing to teach service and trouble shooting.

3) If I were to branch out to a 3rd brand, it would be Dive Rite for the same reasons as #2. **Although I am not 100% sure the service training is available to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom