Target Regulators for Warm Water Newbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Lorenzoid, I honestly believe that you are very wrong.

You do not want to understand what I am after. I do not wish to spend more waisted time.

Take care.

No nonsense ("I am not trying to impress anyone. I have been in diving long enough to know that price does not mean quality. Now let me dive!") brands are DiveRite, HOG and Deep6.

Status symbol brands ("Ladies!!! If I can spend 1600 dollars on a regulator then imagine how serious about diving / or how rich I am") are Atomic and Scubapro.

"I have no clue about regulators and purchased what the LDS told me was the best" are Mares, Cressi, Oceanic and Aqualung etc
You must have a lot of faith in Chris to recommend Deep6 since almost no one has been able to dive one - or even order one until about a month ago.

You must have a lot of faith in Chris to recommend Deep6 since almost no one has been able to dive one - or even order one until about a month ago.

HOG users love their product and the customer review of Deep6 was very positive. If there is a reason why anyone should be skeptical of Deep6 then please feel free to share.

many of us have seen and dove the prototypes over the past 6 months but for me it boils down to this. Chris has said the parts kits are compatible with the Hog D3, he is using better o-rings and diaphragm materials in the first stage, but they are compatible. 2nd stage will be compatible back, so even if sh!t hits the fan with D6, which I'm sure it's not going to, you can fall back to the Hog. People were saying the same stuff when he founded that company though and here we are today. Deep6 regs are made by the same company that is building the Hog regs and a myriad of others and ODS is going nowhere any time soon, so no problems there.

First service is FoC by Deep6, so that takes you into 2018 or farther out depending on your preference for service intervals, and the course through TDI is almost done and will be open to any diver from what I understand. That all in all is a winning combination and something that I'd have no hesitation recommending to new divers if they are wanting a beautifully built regulator for a screaming price.

Adding to @Caveeagle points...

And despite what @CAPTAIN SINBAD might try to suggest in his nonsense post.

I have had Aqualungs regs for the last 3 years. They've all done over 400 dives and are great. A big selling point is the Auto Closure Device (ACD) on the 1st stage, which seals it when disconnected from the tank. My regs don't get treated gently and get used weekly. They get fully immersed in my wash tank for 12hrs + and then hung out to dry in the shade, but still with Air temps above 100F for most of the year, and High UV. Not one issue.

I do like the fact I can get them serviced anywhere in the world. All but the value end models will dive cold water which isn't a selling point for me - it is what it is. Apparently all mine are easy to breath having had to share air with an instructor recently (as an exercise) he came off his regs onto mine and could tell there was a difference.

But if you're not travelling then yes buy local as long as you have a service center nearby

+ 1 with Diving Dubay :)

On second thought - never mind, it's pointless and off-topic to rehash old arguments with tbone...he thinks everyone wants to service their own regs so bases his whole argument around that.

My only point - and I'm not going to follow this thread - is that Sinbad is recommending something he probably has not seen/dove with yet. From a company with as far as I can tell 5 US dealers and none elsewhere. News to me is one is here so I may go check it out.

I have no doubt Chris will make a success of it but seriously recommending Deep6 now?

Last edited:
Dear Lorenzoid. Even a non diver is perfectly able to service a regulator. My viewpoint is that , as a new guy trained in servicing a regulator , one can expect more "potential problems " compared to an experienced service man. The fact of the matter is that a significant percentage of regulators fail immediately after servicing. THIS IS PROVEN.

This is exactly why I started servicing my own regulators while still a new diver. It is by far the best diving related decision I have ever made.

I think your last statement contradicts your premise, that new divers are better off with so called "professional" service. Certainly new divers are better off with competent and reliable service on their regulators, but the fact that many regulators fail immediately after service just underscores how incompetent many 'professional' regulator technicians are. The training involved is a one day no-fail seminar, with entrance requirements being that the tech works for a shop. This means any knucklehead from the sales floor can decide he wants to be a reg tech, and after ONE DAY, no matter how badly he does, he will be certified to do so. It's appalling how inconsistent and unreliable the standards are.

I have been diving(rec and tec) the same Apeks regs over last 18yrs and they are great. Learnt how to service them is one of my best ever investment in scuba diving.
Pity that the spare parts, not the service kits, are not readily available locally(HK). Another problem is the price increase since took over by Aqualung!!

the course through TDI is almost done and will be open to any diver from what I understand. .

Course is done. Will be scheduling classes around shows, demo days and thru some of our demo centers/ind instructors soon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom