TDI Gas Blender/Advanced Gas Blender, Fremont, OH February 12/13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

COVCI

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Also posted in the course forum, but may be of more interest to specific members of this group.

This course will prepare candidates to acheive certifications as Gas Blender (Nitrox) and Advanced Gas Blender (Trimix).

This course is being taught by Steve Lewis, TDI Instructor/Training Board Member, also known as Doppler.

Hotel accomodations are available for those who need to travel.

Course costs and specific information can be obtained by emailing me at covci@covci.com or by pm.

Thanks,
Chris
COVCI

COVCI:
Also posted in the course forum, but may be of more interest to specific members of this group.

This course will prepare candidates to acheive certifications as Gas Blender (Nitrox) and Advanced Gas Blender (Trimix).

This course is being taught by Steve Lewis, TDI Instructor/Training Board Member, also known as Doppler.

Hotel accomodations are available for those who need to travel.

Course costs and specific information can be obtained by emailing me at covci@covci.com or by pm.

Thanks,
Chris
COVCI

Coolies...oh wait I already a...darn hmph. Joking aside the blenders course is a great course to get into. I am already a blender, will think about the Advanced Gas Blender, going to take some advanced diving instruction soon so, it is a beneficial course to take. Will keep it in mind.

why there is blender and advanced blender makes no sense. Other agencies will get get you Trimix Blender in one course.

msandler:
why there is blender and advanced blender makes no sense. Other agencies will get get you Trimix Blender in one course.

It is a philosphy of instruction, that is like comparing certifying agencies in dive instruction. One will take you to AOW after just completing OW whereas others want you to have X amount of dives and demonstrate proficiency before allowing you to take the class and get certified. I for one like the way TDI has it's courses laid out.

well, fair enough. I agree the philosphy part for actual in water diving, but for a blending course, its just seems like a profit vehicle. Nitrox, trimix, heliox, helitrox, heliair, triox... The only difference I see is creating hypoxic mixes. The blender course has no prerequisite and being a diver isn't a requirement (or is it?). I don't see why they shouldn't be combined. It looks as though one could do a nitrox blender course and without mixing a cylinder take the trimix blender course immediately after. Most of the content will be the same I would think. What possibly could be taught in addition to what was learned at the Nitrox level, that would constitute an enitre course (time money materials books)?

Algebra before Trigonometry

not really, actually the math is the same in this case - more like multiplication before mulitiplication right?

ok, like this if your an EMT you can't do what a Paramedic can do simply not possible. Such as you have to crawl before you walk, walk before you can run and so on.

well considering one of the largest certifying agencies in world (also one of the most conservative, profitable and liability sensitive agencies) find it acceptable to sponsor a blending course that covers nitrox and trimix in one course, may indicate mixing is a one course certification. It also may indicate a few thousand diving professionals dissagree with you. BUT, feel free to spend your money and time any way you want. In the end, repetition is a good thing, so it can't hurt.

Who do you think an individual would present a blending certification to and for what purpose?

Debate is not a bad idea. But, when it just goes back and forth, maybe you would be better off taking it to the tech divers forum. This would give other divers with similar interests a better chance to see this and respond to philosophical issues that are being discussed. This is more of an agency philosphy debate than a local issue.

The purpose of putting things in the club area is for the people who might be interested in things happening that they stand a chance of going to. Also, we discuss local issues such as cold water diving, wreck preservation, dry spells due to cold weather, etc. . If they aren't interested, fine! If they are, they are will sign up. Heavy debate topics here may include wreck preservation issues (for instance) among other local issues. These are near and dear to any diver in the Great Lakes. We also have shore diving access issues occuring at one local lake in Michigan that I know of (right Ray, Tom, Dave? ) Again, these are examples of the types of issues that the general diving population isn't going to respond to anyways.

Personally, if I had the access to a compressor and felt like keeping the extra helium/ oxygen around I would be interested in this just off of Mr. Lewis's reputation. But, I can't justify the time and expense for training that won't be used in the forseeable future. Also, many tri-mix classes include the gas blending so that the tri-mix diver can blend his/her own fills. I will likely take my blending course at that time. It sounds like a great opportunity for others though! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom